1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Visual Studio 2008

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Motowoto, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Motowoto

Motowoto Thread Starter

So earlier this year I bought a laptop for school and it came with visual studio 2008 installed on the laptop. Since Windows 7 is coming out soon, I want to format my laptop and upgrade from vista. I was wondering if I would be able to transfer v.s. 2008 somehow over to the new computer?

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Which version do you have installed ? Do you have the installation media ? If you have Microsoft Visual Studio Express, you can download it again from here.

3. Motowoto

Motowoto Thread Starter

It's the professional edition. An I don't have the installation disc because there was none. When I got this computer and logged onto windows for the first time it was already on it. It's a HP Elite book 8730w....

4. 060456F

060456F

Hi Motowoto

I don't think that this is possible. When you format the Vista with 7, what you are doing is wiping the data out and replacing with the new. You can expect that it would exist if you are to do an upgrade rather than formatting.

5. Motowoto

Motowoto Thread Starter

Thanks for replying 060456F, do you think it would be possible if I copy the files for VS 2008 from vista onto a flash drive and once I have Windows 7 installed just put them all in the same directory as they were in vista? Or I'm assuming if I install it I would have to have some sort of license key, is their a way I can find out what that could be? Like in the files or something?

6. pvc_

pvc_

I don't think it'd be possible for you to just copy the files because during the installation process, registry keys are added and a whole bunch of stuff is done in the background. Like it was mentioned, I'd suggest doing an upgrade rather than a fresh installation of the windows 7 or else you'd lose everything. Although, you could always download the express edition of visual studio, which gets the job done.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't copy Visual Studio from one computer to another. It has to be installed. Did you buy your computer second hand? I don't know of a vendor that throws in a $500 application development suite for free.

8. Motowoto

Motowoto Thread Starter

No, I received the laptop from Full Sail University and when I went to pick it up it was still in the HP box unopened. Like I said before, when I opened the box and turned the laptop on for the first time to setup windows it was already on the desktop when I reached there.

Anyway, thank you guys for the answers. Might just go with the upgrade now instead of formatting the drive.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If it came from a college, that's a different story. Many colleges have an agreement that allows for students to get a free copy of Visual Studio 2008. I believe the license ends when the student stops going to school. If you're still attending, you should be able to get the install disks for free or at least get the software installed by the school.

If you're no longer a student, the license probably isn't valid regardless of what computer you're using it on.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/860615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice