Solved: VLAN home lab issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sneh555

I am trying to create a home lab and I was trying out this scenario on a simulator. The switch and router are connected at two ports but in simulator it shows as only one cable. Here is more information.
http://s741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/sneh555/

PC1 IP Address: 192.168.1.2/25
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

PC2 IP Address: 192.168.1.130/25
Default gateway:192.168.1.129

Switch has 12 ports. Fastethernet 0/1 – 6 are in VLAN 2. Fastethernet 0/7 – 12 are in VLAN 3.
Router’s Fastethernet 0/0 has IP address of 192.168.1.1/25 and Fastethernet 0/1 has IP address of 192.168.1.129/25. FE 0/0 is connected to FE 0/2 port of the switch and FE 0/1 is connected to FE 0/8. PC1 is connected to FE 0/1 of the switch and PC2 is connected to FE 0/7 of the switch. No other configuration has been done on either switch or router.

My problem is that after setting up the VLANs, I am not able to ping from PC1 to PC2. Ping to default gateway from both the PCs is successful and router can also ping to the PCs. Why is PC1 not able to ping PC2. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

If you want to communicate between the pc’s you need to enable routing in the router.

How did you configure the Network? Provide me the layout of the network and the model number of the switched and the router.

Is the router and the switches are connected using two cables?

Regards,

L8ians

sneh555

Yes the switch and the router is connected with two cables. The router is cisco 2621 and the switch is catalyst 3550. I also tried after enabling RIP v2 on the router, but still no success. I really dont think its the routing protocol issue as router can route packets on CONNECTED subnets with no routing protocol enabled. The link to the layout diagram is attached to the first posting.

-sneh555

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I agree. I don't think it's a routing issue. I've never run across any Cisco router where I had to "turn on" routing. It does it by default as its basic function.

Paste up a show run for both the router and the switch here.

Also do a show ip route on the router to make sure the route table shows that both subnets are directly connected. You don't need to run any routing protocol as the router doesn't need to learn how to route to these subnets through another connected router thereby needing to share route tables.

Finally, you can just rig up the PCs to connect directly into the router's ports and see if you can get them to ping each other.

So far, I don't see anything wrong with your setup.

As an aside when you get this working, you can get slick by consolidating the two cables wired into the switch into each respective VLAN into one connection. You would just pick one router interface and make that into a trunk by setting up sub interfaces which tie into each VLAN. On the switch, you would create one port to be a trunk port and then set that port up to trunk dot1q traffic. Everything else about the switchport configuration will stay the same.

sneh555

I got it. There is a bug in the simulator. When I save the configuration and exit the simulator and start the simulator again and load the configuration file, it works fine. I am able to ping then to and from both the computers to each other.

Thanks for your help guys.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad that worked out. This is part of the reason why I'm not a fan of simulators. To me it's better to buy the actual gear to do labs like this. It is some cash outlay but you can get a decent setup for only a couple hundred.

Quickly looking through your config, you should set any port you have hosts plugged into as an access port and not a dynamic desirable. Having the port as a dynamic desirable allows anyone to plug in a switch which will have access to all VLAN traffic going through the switch. You should set the switch ports as follows: switchport mode access.

sneh555

Yes, thats a good security practice. But since this was only a test to see if this setup will work or not, i just did the basic config. Thanks for the reply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online