1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: vlc player takes over my computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dingo63, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingo63

Dingo63 Thread Starter

Hi when i install vlc player it takes over everything on my computer so if i click on itunes it brings up vlc player and when i restart my computer every icon changes to vlc player . the only way to stop is uninstall , i cant figure out whats causing all this any help on solving this problem cause vlc player is the only thing that works n gives me clear picture n sound on my tv . thank in advance

ive downloaded it from bothe filehippo/cnet/official site both 32/64 bit n bluray
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 3, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8156 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907626 MB, Free - 1202964 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Tecohnology Co., Ltd., H61MA-D2V
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. stantley

stantley

Uninstall VLC and start the install again. Uncheck the box "File type associations" and check to make sure all the boxes under Video, Audio and Other are blank.

Later on if there are files types you to play with only VLC you can go to Tools > Preferences > Set up associations.

3. hewee

hewee

You got to watch VLC even with the updates.

Update are a new install so you got to not check the box that will remove your setting.
    Then on the install uncheck the associations box.

4. Dingo63

Dingo63 Thread Starter

Tried that didnt work . if your thinking its just taking over all media files its not its taking over every program on my computer so browsers , steam . etc , ive had it installed before with no problems then for some reason it decided to take over .

5. stantley

stantley

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If no luck with the above,

Try THIS.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

7. Dingo63

Dingo63 Thread Starter

thanks its worked , can you tell me what was causing the problem ?

8. Phantom010

We've simply fixed your .LNK file association. It's a shortcut file. A shortcut file is a pointer to an .EXE file somewhere on your system. When clicking on a shortcut, it's like clicking on an .EXE file and the associated program should start and run.

Glad it's fixed. (y)

9. Dingo63

Dingo63 Thread Starter

Thanks again

10. Phantom010

You're welcome!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice