1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: vlookup for zipcodes

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lex.Luthor, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor Thread Starter

Here is the problem,

I have a spreadsheet that contains the zip codes from 2 states, several of the cities contain several zip codes with the same name. EG:Carbondale, IL is 62901, 62902 and 62903

This is easy for vlookup to figure out. How about the vise versa?

EG:

Barrington Hills, Il is 60010, so is DeerPark, Fox river Valley, North Barrington....see where I am going?

Now how does vlookup figure this one out?

Step 2:
    Is there a way that the range be found and display as a pull down menu for selection?

Thank you for all of your help TSG!

Attached Files:

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi Lex,
    I don't know if this is the solution but it does do the job
    I added a sheet, the first is just a column wij states and the zis for each state in the corresponding rows.
    The second is the zips with the corresponding cities
    The only caveat is that a concatenated state and zip code won't work because it also defines a cell address IL60001 exists in excel 2007 and higher zo I adden an underschore IL_60001 to allow as datavalidation because numbers alone are not accepted (wow Excel!!!)
    The third sheet is a tryout and there's a link there pointing you to a site with a tutorial about this type of data validation, it will explain it better.

Attached Files:

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor Thread Starter

Keebellah!

I was hoping that you would be able to answer! This sheet and the video that you linked will be perfect. The way that it is setup will be perfect for what I need it for.

THANK YOU!

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    :) It takes some time to set up the basics but once you have those it's a cinch.
    Use the "Marke Solved" button to close the post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!