1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: VM of XP and W7 program conflict

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fairnooks, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned Thread Starter

Ok, for those in the know, ya know how a virtual machine and the host will battle over a single optic drive and practically lock everything up if the autoplay is not disabled either in the host or VM?

Well seemingly I have a very similar problem in that persistent task programs (like video renderers) that I start in Win7x64 cause not only that program to almost come to a dead halt but also cause the VM running XP the same fate. It is the vmware-vmx service that skyrockets in CPU usage (about 75% to 25% process/program share of the total) so there is some direct cause I think.

The VM is on a SSD on USB3 attached via PCIe card so they are not competing on the same hard drive or anything like that.

I know the setup works because I have the same arrangement on another computer running XP with Windows 7 in VM; all 32-bit there.

As soon as I kill the persistent program on the host, VM response returns to it normal speedy self like flipping a light switch. The vmware-vmx process drops to 3-7% CPU usage (with nothing running in the VM). VMWarePlayer version 4.0.1, VMWare tools installed.
    6 Gigs of RAM, 2 assigned to VM and all 4 cores.

Could find nary a thing on the Internet in my breif search except references to DVD drive conflicts
    Hopefully someone has run into this and knows what's wrong. Why does the vmware process go bananas when a program is started in the W7x64 host?

2. fairnooks

Switched over to W7 32-bit; no joy. One VM message that comes up at startup is that long mode is not supported on this platform, will not be able to execute 64-bit code. That doesn't come up on any of the other systems.

Gonna check the BIOS to see if it has any virtualization setting...

Still ramming my poor little flattened nose against the wall!

3. fairnooks

Argghh! Figured it out finally I think; was out and about when my best thoughts come and I remembered that not all core 2 quads from Intel supported virtualization. Sure enough, when I got back and checked...only one of two on the no go list!!!

So, resolved, but disappointingly so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice