[Solved] Voice recognition vs. Word 2000 on a new Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stoner

Banned
To set the scene:

Laptop--Toshiba Satellite P4 2.8GHz
Win XP Home

Works Word processor is preinstalled
I installed L&H Pro (v 5)voice rec, but it was a conflicted install.
Installing SAPI 4 made the install work.
But not all the functions of L&H work in the WWP.
Missing is a dropdown menu of 'sound alike' words that is very helpful.
The menu option doesn't work in XP's word pad either, but does work in notepad.
I have installed Word 2000(which works properly with L&H in a Win 98se computer) But, the L&H won't recognise Word 2000 on the Toshiba.

Suggestions?
Any ideas to make L&H fully functional with either WWP or Word 2000?
Is there some kind of 'file recognition' that will help with Word 2000 ?
(have also installed Abiword--poor recognition and L&H not fully functionable in XP or 98se, so that's out--anyway I've used Word before and am used to it so I'd rather stay with MS)

Thanks for any input :)

Jack

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Is that version compatible with XP to begin with? L&H went bankrupt and their software portion was taken over by ScanSoft.....or at least I think that's the deal.

Stoner

Banned
Hi Aca Candy :)

L&H Pro is not compatable and is a forced install.
The issue is Win XP comes with SAPI5 and L&H needs SAPI4.

From a search, I've found others that installed SAPI4 and were fully functional. No one else has the glitches I refered to.

The only big issue I had to resolve was a noise reduction option for the microphone, within XP.

Everything works well with L&H except the quirks I posted.

As there don't seem to be many using VR let alone L&H, I'm not too hopeful on this, but I thought it worth a shot at TSG. :)

It is odd that the correction menu works in notepad and nothing else ~

(I do consider L&H to work well on XP, it's just those little issues :( )

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You got me then........I just tried to install version 7 on my PII 400 and was politely told that my hardware didn't support it :mad:

So when I return to Mexico I'll give it a shot on my P4 2.4 :)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

The people who claim to have it working, are they running the same version of Word as you are?

Stoner

Banned
The people who claim to have it working, are they running the same version of Word as you are?

Yes, Word 2000

On another computer, I had L&H working with Word 97.(98se the os)

Will Word 97 run on Win XP?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I believe so. I haven't tried installing Office on my XP installation...........Let me test it :D

Stoner

Banned
Thought I'd update this thread incase someone is searching for a similiar solution.
The situation--Word 2000 was installed along side Works Word Processor in an XPHome instal.
Word 2000 would not respond to my L&H voice recognition software, which was a forced instal on WinXP home.

By comparing folders in a 98se install, the file 'wordai.wll' was missing.
I copied the 98se file into XP and L&H worked perfectly. All functions and menus were available, but only in Word 2000, not Works Word.

Go to -Program Files\Office\STARTUP (or similiar) and just drop the file 'wordai.wll in the startup folder.

Where to get 'wordai.wll'? Sorry, I don't know.
I got mine from an existing os that already had L&H running.
I believe L&H generated it on 98se, but for some reason, wouldn't on XP.
Lucky that it worked :D

Jack

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online