1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: voltage error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rkowatch, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

okay... so i come home from a wedding, pc still on... but strangely beeping ocasionally from the speakers...

so i open my asus pcprobe to find this: to picture

[​IMG]

help?

2. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

3. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Power fluctuations should be within +/- 5%...........never over 10%. The reading showing in the Probe is WAY LOW! If you restart the computer and go directly into the BIOS, what is the +5V reading there? IF it is way off, then it's probably your power supply. However before just rushing out and purchasing a new one, go to this link......read it carefully and follow the instructions on testing the voltage with a meter.............

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=137886

BE CAREFUL you don't short out the plug when testing or you could possibly ruin everything..................if you follow the directions closely you will be fine. If the reading comes up outside the 5%-10%, then the PSU is malfunctioning(could be a bad cap or some other part in the supply). Time to buy a new one. By the way, what are your system specs including OS?

5. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

okay, system specs.

motherboard: Asus P5VD2-VM
    Cpu is the Pentium 4 3.0ghz, Cedar Mill core, Hyper Threading(enabled)
    Ram: 2 Gigs (1x2) cricial PC2-5300 (running at 333mhz)
    Video Card: Saphire Ati Radion 3870 512MB PCI-E, running on a 16x pci-e slot.
    Power Supply: thermaltake 430W
    Keyboard/Mouse: USB
    Monitor: old vga i stoled from a dead dell... IBM G52
    Cd/dvd drive: Lightscribe Dvd/cd cdrw, 20x

i think that should be everything... i'm also ruing a verizon evdo internet card via usb.

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

" strangely beeping ocasionally from the speakers..."

Those "beeps" are the code to tell you what is wrong(or a very close approximation) with your pc. Your mobo uses an Award BIOS.......here is a place to start:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Have you tried this (from the ASUS website and your mobo specs/overview:

ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2
    The CrashFree BIOS2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.

8. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

you know... it doesnt' beep anymore... and now that i think about it... it only seemed to 'beep' when i came home and i first noticed it... i'm not sure if it was really my pc or my cell phone... as i had come home from a wedding...r ather late... and under the influence...

it doesnt' beep anymore... but if i open pcprobe it still shows the same +5v error

oh and it isn't a post test beep, but rather a beeping when windows was running... but like i said it doesnt' do it anymore..

i will see what happens when i reset my bios... i thin it's the fact that my new video card 'reccomends' a 27 amps on the 12v rail, where as this PSU is only running at 14amps if i remember correctly

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

That could do it..........voltages are the main causes of instability in these systems...................

10. rkowatch

rkowatch Thread Starter

unfortunatly thermaltake doens't seem to believe in powerful 12v rails... as every one of them i've looked to replace still falls short of what is' recommended'

11. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!