(Solved) Volume contols Win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

compnovice

I can't seem to access my volume controls. I go to
* Start
* Programs
* Accessories
* Entertainment
* Volume Controls

I then get the little "waiting" icon ( hourglass ), then nothing. The volume controls do not appear on my desktop. I wait a bit then hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what is happening in the background. There I see " Sndvol32 " in that pop-up menu, like it is active and running.

When I try to run a voice progam ( for gaming ) it says " Failed to open the microphone input drvice. Another copy of the program might be running and has the microphone input device aliready open".

So where is my volume controls? Why can't I see them? What may be using my mic that I can't see?

*** Win98/ IE 6.0 / Norton / ZoneAlarm / 512 mb RAM / PIII ***

Thank you for your consideration

To display your Volume controls on the taskbar,

Click, Start/Settings/Control Panel. Double click
Multimedia and put a check mark in the box next to Show
Volume Controls on task bar. Click, Apply and OK.

To access your Volume control from the icon in the taskbar, double click it.

Compnovice
Welcome to TSG!
I only have a few minutes before I leave for work but try these suggestions.....

Go to Start\Find and type in *.cpl then hit enter. Look through list presented and locate the MMSYS.CPL and double left click it. Does the Multimedia control panel open? or does it just hang as before?

If it opens then you may have defective shortcut you were using.

If not then the MMSYS.CPL itself may be corrupt.

If it is suspected corrupt then you will have to use the SFC extract file command from the start\run line to extract another copy of MMSYS.CPL off you Win98 install CD.

Use This Website for instructions on how to use SFC.

Will check back later today on how you are progressing.

Dave

compnovice

Ok, I have done that and the simple "volume-slide" menu poped up.
I should have been more specific. I would like to see the advanced properties menu, the one with the mic, balance, line in, ect controls.

Open the volume control panel/click options/properties and select what you would like displayed on your volume control panel.

compnovice

Dave,

I have done what you suggested. I found the mmsys from the Find menu and double-left clicked it. It still just hung there.

I should have mentioned that I had shut down most background aplications ( Ctrl-Alt-Del method ) to improve gaming performance.

compnovice

EvilYe,

I think I may have gotten it with your help.
First I restarted my computer so that all the startup program loaded.
I then right-clicked on the volume ctrl. from the taskbar and hit "open vol. ctrls.".
This brought up the menu Iwas looking for! I will now try the other voice program to see if I have a conflict.

thanks a bunch1

You can show or hide different controls from the volume control panel by using the method above.

:)

Compnovice
It is great you got your problem fixed.

Take care and will consider this matter solved.

Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online