1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Volume Control computer "windows cannot display the volume control on the task bar"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spacecadet27, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spacecadet27

spacecadet27 Thread Starter

So i was trying to make some room on y C drive and i guess i deleted some files that i shouldnt...To make a long story short now my volume control thingy that stays on my taskbar has dissapeared.When i go to the control panel and to sounds and audio devices and i get in there and there is an icon with the option to place volume icon on the taskbar but when i click on that i get 'windows cannot display the volume control on the task bar because the volume control program has not been installed...After several tries i figured i deleted the windows file soundvol32.exe
    but how the hell do i get it back and put it in its right place???I have no idea where it would go??Anybody have an idea how i can install that back????I tried using my windows cd but since i put service pack 2 on it it said that the version of windows i had on the cd was older than my current version...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

I ran a search on XP pro and didn't find any "soundvol32.exe".
    Did find "sndvol32.exe" found in Windows System 32 folder..

Don't know if this is the right one but have a look.. Says it's ver 4.. My XP has ver.5, I guess it would work...
    user: driver1
    pass: all
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=83732

Also found this: you need to copy the sndvol32.exe image from your commercial XP installation media (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session.
    2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

3. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

The file is only 135K... I guess if it was ok with TSG. I, or someone else could just attach it to a post for you.. :rolleyes:

4. spacecadet27

Hey Super D i did this that i found on the microsoft page:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095
    as similiarly suggested by you.
    But even after i attempt this it says in the command prompt after i attempt this cant load sndvol32....
    i dont remember exactly what it says anymore bc i tried this last night. I also re installed my service pack 2(which thankfully i found the cd for but it still didnt solve the problem) I'm starting to think that the only thing i can do is reisntall windows then my service pack to get my volume bar back :(
    Thanks for ur help though i really appreciate it
    Cheers

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Ok, if the file is in windows/system32 and it still won't work... then it could be a registry problem.. Do a search to be sure it's in the right place.

I've asked that this be moved to the XP forum, and more windows experts could help..

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

since we don't know what you deleted... many things could be wrong...

Just be sure the file is in the right place.. And we can move from there.

7. spacecadet27

Did a search for sndvol32.exe and came up with nothing. I def. dont have that file on my computer. Ended up running the registry mechanic and it fixed 2 control errors and after that i ran a virus check and low and behold i also had 2 virus'
    Anyways i cured them but still no luck with the volume control, dont know if the viruses had anything to do with it?!

8. sy2

sy2

We need to know if you have the file sndvol32.exe or not. There should be two copies on your system to start with so even if you deleted the file from C:\Windows\System32, there should be another copy in C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache.

If you determined that you deleted the sndvol32.exe file from C:\Windows\System32, try copying the file from the Dllcache folder to the System32 folder. Double click on that file and tell us what happens.

It would also help if you could provide more details regarding any files that you deleted... what criteria were you using to decide what files to delete? Which folders were you deleting these files out of? Did you use a program or just do everything manually?

EDIT: Disregard the top half of this post, I was writing while you were posting that no files showed up during the search.

9. sy2

sy2

Make sure that you follow those directions exactly as they're given on the website. If it still doesn't work let us know exactly what error you get when the operation fails.

10. spacecadet27

Sy2 i just did what u said and it fixed it!!!! You are my Hero!!!i dont even know how to thank you. After seeing that i'm sure i didnt go in the system 32 folders and delete anything, it must have been the 2 viruses i had!
    Thanks again for all the help guys i really appreciate it ;)

11. sy2

sy2

Great! Glad to hear the issue's resolved (y)

You can click the "Thread Tools" drop-down menu from the top of this thread (underneath the "make a donation!" link) and select "Mark Solved" and click "Perform Action."

This way everyone will know that your issue has been taken care of (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice