1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Volume Control Help!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by whocaresido, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whocaresido

whocaresido Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP and my volume control icon and program have disappeared. When I go to control panel>sound, speeches, audio devices> sound and audio devices> then click on "place volume icon in the taskbar" a sign pops up saying "Windows cannot display the volume icon in the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove programs in control panel". BUT when I go to the control panel there is no volume control program. And I can't fix this problem with a windows cd because I lost it. Is there a way to fix this and get my volume control back without the cd??

2. whocaresido

a simple yes or no would do. and if yes come on please help!

3. big donut708

big donut708

Well this might work if the file was corrupted or deleted accidentally.

I had to make it a rar because you can't upload .exe. Simply place sndvol32.exe in your windows\system32 folder and replace your current one. Then try again. Hope it works.

Attached Files:

4. whocaresido

it doesn't open.

5. big donut708

big donut708

What doesn't open? The archive? That attachment is an archive with the sndvol.exe in it. You have to extract the archive using a program like winrar. You can download the trial here: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Then take the exe out of the archive and place it in the system32 folder.

6. whocaresido

hey it worked :D! got my volume control back! thanks!!!! but just to make sure, I want to know if I did it the correct way. I right-clicked the sndvol32.exe then I clicked on "Extract to specified folder" then under Update Mode "Extract and update files" then clicked on the system32 file.

7. whocaresido

oh and are the advanced controls under options not supposed to work?

8. big donut708

big donut708

No. it is supposed to work. When you click on it it should show a panel about 6 across with all the different outputs. Master, Line in, Microphone, wave, synth...Things like that. You can also change the balance from right to left. Its not a necessity for me but if you need it ask someone else because I don't know how to fix it.

9. whocaresido

yea everything works except the advanced controls. but hey it works which is good enough. thanks again!

10. trustypal

trustypal

worked like a dream.Opened windows,found system 32....SndVol.exe was missing, pasted in the file, and all ok.
    I have been downloading Karaoke players and songs and guess it was the cause. Took me too days to solve. manythanks. from trustypal

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!