Solved: Volume icon in task bar is a no

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamesaitchy1967

Hi cant get my volume icon back in the taskbar. Ive did the sounds & audio properties thing as in ticking the (place volume icon in taskbar) but i get an error message saying it hasn't been installed reinstall using add/remove. But i cant see it there to reinstall it and i have no windows CD.
Anybody got some advice please

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Try one of these REG fixes.

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Line 316 Sound Icon - Enable
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

371. Restore Sound - Windows Audio Service
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

jamesaitchy1967

hi cheeseball81 tryed those teaks nothing has changed.
I do have volume but i need to go int control panel to mute or turn my volume up or down

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
And you tried this too?

Right click in the task bar near the time display and you will get a pop up menu.
Click on properties.
Under system icons to always show, check volume.
Click Apply.

If you go to Start > Run
Type in SndVol32.exe and hit OK
Does it come up?

If the SndVol32.exe is missing or corrupted, and you di nit have the CD, you may be able to copy it from another location.
Normally this file resides in: C:\Windows\System32

It should also be in: C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache

If you have a hidden folder called C:\i386 then it is likely to be in there as well.

jamesaitchy1967

Hi cheeseball81 Cant find SndVol32.exe in System32 or Dllcache.
opened hidden files and cant find anything in i386 ither im afraid lots of folders but nothing in them

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
I have attached the file here. Make sure you extract it in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

You may need WinZip or WinRAR to extract it. Most of the time though Windows can do it.

Attachments

jamesaitchy1967

Can i ask you about another thing that im trying to fix well get rid of. Or will i have to start a new thread

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Great, glad it helped (y)

What was the other question? I guess it depends on the issue.

jamesaitchy1967

its the log on window when i start the computer dont use a password but still have to click yes to enter can i get rid of that so the computer just starts

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Give this a try...

Click Start and select Run.

Type control userpasswords2 and hit OK

Select the user you would like to use every time you login.

Uncheck or the box that says Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer to disable password screen and allow Windows to automatically login and bring users to the main screen. Check the box to enable username and password protection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online