1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "volume is dirty" question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DarqueMist, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarqueMist

DarqueMist Thread Starter

While exiting a game I had a system freeze and had to shut my computer down (pulled the plug). Upon restart I got the message "the volume is dirty" and check disk ran. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    I think I found the right log for it in the event viewer "Winlogon, event 1001" but don't understand whats written in it. Can anyone help me out here? Tell me what a dirty volume is, tell me if there is anything of concern in the log, tell me if I should let it concern me or not?
    Here's the log
    thanks in advance :eek:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What happened is you interrupted a write operation. You may have corrupted something, but NTFS is pretty good about rolling back to the last good record. Most likely, you lost at least something that was being updated at the time you pulled the plug.

3. DarqueMist

Reasonably safe bet that it was something related to the game and nothing to get over stressed about? I've rebooted since and had a normal start up.

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

try this
    got to Start | Run |
    bring up a command prompt by typing in CMD click on OK and type fsutil dirty query d:
    This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.
    Next, type CHKNTFS /X D:
    The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt, now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing Chkdsk /f /r d:. This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type fsutil dirty query d: and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil_dirty.mspx?mfr=true

5. JohnWill

I doubt the volume is dirty any more, he already ran CHKDSK. :) Also, you can't run CHKDSK /F on the boot volume without rebooting, which I believe is the situation here, note the log stating C:.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

I believe that the clean up was from the game and you should be ok.

7. DarqueMist

thank you JohnWill and Couriant (took me a while to clue into the fact you were Tidus4Yuna ... whats with all the name changes in here?). In all my years of owning a computer thats the first time I've seen "the volume is dirty" pop up on my comp. It concerned me a little bit but all seems to be running fine now.
    As well thanks for your input Jack but as JW stated I had already run check disk and things seem back to normal .... I'm just a little anal and wanted to understand what went on. Merely knowing it is working properly isn't enough for me.

8. JohnWill

That's how you learn, nothing wrong with wanting to know the why. :)

9. Bilbo9

Bilbo9

Hi guys,

Just looking at a friend's Dell XP machine, in the NTFS here the volume is also said to be dirty.
    Disc check runs automatically & seemingly successfully on startup, then restarts. On the restart it just hangs and does not boot into XP. Hangs with a blank black screen, though mouse responds. i left it there for 5 mins - and nothing ... The PC won't respond on the black screen - won't even turn off ... have to turn off at the powerpoint. i am currently leaving it longer to see if it actually boots in to XP.
    Is this a problem with the harddrive itself do you think, data corrupting or frying itself?? i don't know what was happening on the PC before hand to cause the problem ... just the symptoms afterwards...

Any hints would be most appreciated. :confused:

Cheers

Bilbo

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!