1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: volume shrink undo

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dennwhite, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dennwhite

dennwhite Thread Starter

I just bought a new gateway with Win7 and a 2 TB harddrive. I wanted to partition the drive. I was following directions on how to shrink the C drive. I right clicked on the C drive in disk management and selected shrink volume. Then I clicked SHRINK without entering anything. I'm not sure if anything changed or not. I would like to get the C drive back like it was with 2 TB.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Look in Disk Management to see if anything changed. If there is now unallocated space to the right of the "C" partition you can resize "C" to include that space.

3. dennwhite

dennwhite Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet,

I now have; Disk 0 {14.00 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) | SYSTEM RESERVED 100 MB NTFS Healthy System, Active, Primary Partition) | Gateway (C:) 1848.92 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)}
    Does that seem correct to you?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Yes; the Recovery partition is an image of the "factory defaults" version of your system, the 100 MB partition is a special Master Boot Record that allows you to boot to your normal system or to the Recovery partition, and the "C" partition is your Windows system.

As an aside, various issues cause the Recovery partition to become unusable. You want to have another way to "restore" Windows to its original state. If you haven't already done so, unless you have another system backup, make a set of Recovery DVDs. Also good to make a System Repair Disk (Start - All Programs - Maintenance), as that can fix certain start-up problems without the need to start over with "factory defaults."

5. dennwhite

dennwhite Thread Starter

Recovery DVDs and System Repair Disk are complete. Thanks again for your help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041977