1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: W7 aborts install with 'cannot install on this disk'

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Compaq Presario CQ62-410, Toshiba MK2561GSYN hard disk, Windows 7 Ultimate

Error message:
    Windows cannot be installed on this disk.The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I see no controller-related items in the BIOS.

History:
    Computer was running fine but very slowly. I did a factory system recovery; but, it was still unacceptably slow so started a W7 install from a retail OEM disk, deleted all partitions on the hard disk and attempted the installation with the above-mentioned error result.

Next, I tried to use an XP installation disk to partition the drive; but, it aborted with a BSOD 07b error.

Thanks for reading.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is this a Toshiba drive in a Compaq machine?
    If so, did this hard drive come with this machine or did you add it?

What is your source of the Windows 7 OS that you are trying to install?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the support site and the Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center for the Compaq Presario CQ62-410US (XG958UA#ABA) notebook, it originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------

4. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the link to the Computer Surgeons HP Recovery Center; but, I made the factory recovery DVDs before attempting the Windows 7 installation from the retail, off-the-shelf DVD (just in case I needed a return path).

Big-brand computers come with a lot of garbage installed and I want to see if installing Windows 7 from an off-the-shelf DVD will solve the slowness problem.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Big-brand computers also come with all of the drivers needed to support all of the internal devices that are NOT on the retail version of Windows.

Where did you get this "Off the shelf" copy of Windows 7?

6. Alex Ethridge

At this point, installing W7 from a retail copy of W7 is primarily a diagnostic step to determine if this is a hardware issue or a software issue.

"Big-brand computers also come with all of the drivers needed to support all of the internal devices that are NOT on the retail version of Windows."

I don't understand how this problem could be related to the store from which the W7 DVDs came and I don't want to get this thread onto tangential issues.

Anyway, the hard disk has been removed, connected to another computer as a secondary drive and is being zeroed as I write this.

I'll get back with my result.

7. Alex Ethridge

Zeroing the drive fixed the problem of Windows Setup not recognizing the hard disk as bootable. W7 installed without a problem.

Also, it seems the slowness is in the hardware, not Compaq's crapware-laden Windows setup.

It's a Celeron with 2 gigs of RAM so why would I be surprised about slowness.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That Intel Celeron 900 2.20 GHz single-core processor benchmarks near the bottom of the list for low/mid-range processors and is probably the biggest performance bottleneck in that notebook.

Its integrated graphics appears to use almost 800 MB of shared memory - which is a good chunk of the 2 GB of RAM in it. You might consider adding another 2 GB.

--------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1122898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice