Solved: W7 - Onboard NIC disallows USB Wifi adapter to work simultaneously?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

G00k

I have an HP W7 (Home Premium) PC.

I have a wired connection (on-systemboard network interface) to a Belkin 54g router, but the router is not physically connected to the internet (no ethernet cable out to a cable modem/whatever). The router connects several necessary peripherals - mostly wirelessly to the main PC and another W7 PC.) All this stuff worked prior to a move to a new location.

There is freely accessible Wifi in range (public library - wherein I could concievably carry the whole PC and use their WiFi with their blessing).

I attached a USB Wifi adapter to the PC to avail myself of the free service, but W7 will not allow the Wifi adapter to be seen until I detach the ethernet wire. Then it will allow me to see the available network, and connect.

How does W7 (or the system board) look at network? Are they (onboard NIC and USB)
mutually exclusive? Do I need a separate ethernet adapter card or a separate USB adapter card to create a different "channel" that would allow the two networks to coexist?

TerryNet

Terry
There is freely accessible Wifi in range (public library - wherein I could concievably carry the whole PC and use their WiFi with their blessing).
And that's exactly the idea. Unless they have a most liberal policy the Wi-Fi is for their patrons while on premises. If they allow your off-site use please PM me a link to their policy. Closing this for now.

TerryNet

Terry
Reopened, as I accept G00k's explanation in his PM to me. :)

When Windows has a choice of multiple Default Gateways to use (essentially for internet access) it chooses one. It seems to always choose wired over wireless. The solution is to assign a static IP address to your ethernet connection to the router and leave the Gateway and DNS servers blank.

G00k

Friends and Fellow Geeks,

Thank you for the responses and suggestions.

I find that struggling to frame a question that won't take you and me down long side paths and clarifications, actually helps order my thought processes in thinking about solving the problem. Other times, it reminds me of how much there is to know out there, and without good technical support (that's you folks!), I would be adrift at sea. Then someone smacks me on the head with an oar, and and says, Snap Out Of It!, and I proceed to the solution.

Ultimately, the solution for me included running an ethernet cable from the non-internet-connected router to the second PC, setting up static IP's for that network, killing the gateway and dns for them, and letting the wireless usb adapters do their thing for the wifi internet access.

The brain-fart had been that I was trying to force two networks on one adapter on the second PC - what was I thinking? Some times I need that smack upside the head.

Thanks again.

G00k

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online