1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: W95 'Repair' install just for good measure?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ms. Mia, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

Hi, I am giving a needy friend my old Win95 PC and want to fix it up as best I can for him first. I can't conveniently get out his way to do things later if they arise, and he has never even turned a PC on before, so...!

The machine has its quirks (freezes, crashes) as you'd well expect for a 10 year old basic machine, that has also had several owners and hasn't always been treated well. For example, one former owner deleted progs she didn't want or understand simply by using the Delete key all over the place. And she also dragged and dropped any prominently located "gibberish"-sounding files (which are often system files of course) all to another folder, where she wouldn't have to look at them at least.

Anyway, for various reasons, I assume some system files are missing or damaged by now, and there are probably many duplicates of .dlls and such, and different versions, etc. But since the machine does still work, should I consider that enough and not push my luck messing with the OS? I have a non-OEM Windows 95 CD (also W95 upgrade disks, fwiw). I am not considering installing the OS from scratch. My questions (besides whether I should mess around at all) are:

1] Do Windows 95 CDs offer the options to do a 'repair' type install, and/or to install the OS over itself? (If those are different, which would be better here?) Or can one only install clean.

2] I assume that kind of install doesn't wipe any programs or data. But does it revert any Windows programs/components back to older ones I wouldn't want and might not be able to replace? For example, would I get IE 4.0 back; lose installed Windows updates; lose any newer versions of system files put on by other programs, etc.?

Thank you!!

2. dr20

dr20

To install Windows 95 over itself you may have to delete or rename the Win.com file in Windows.

After booting with a Startup disk at the A:\ prompt type:

c:

At the c:\ prompt type:

cd windows

At the C:\Windows prompt type:

ren win.com win.old

Chances are like 98 it'll revert IE back to an earlier version and you'll need to get security updates again but it shouldn't disturb the programs already on the system. By the sound of things though with the freezing etc if you're going to do that you'd be better off installing from scratch but a reinstall over the current one is worth a try.

3. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

Thank you!! So I take it trying that first doesn't usually hurt anything anyway?

Do you know if I will still even be able to get Windows updates for a W95 machine? If so are there lists people can work from, since this OS can't be scanned at the update site anymore?

Thanks again!

4. dr20

dr20

You're welcome.

No it shouldn't hurt anything installing over the current Windows 95 other than reverting back to some older Microsoft programs.

You can reinstall IE 5.5 SP2 if you want by downloading it from here:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

It comes in a zip folder so you'll need an extracting program.

Microsoft does still have quite a few of their security updates available for 95:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

You probably won't get them all but it's better than having none on there.

5. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

Thank you again! :) (And... I don't know why I drag my heels so much over ever trying my first install-from-scratch; I have come to enjoy tinkering so much over the last couple years, it is really more of an addiction! But that bridge I don't want to cross for some reason... Maybe because I know all too well how I seem to overcomplicate things for 'fun'! ;))

6. irregularjoe

irregularjoe

I'd format and install from scratch. It's very cathartic.
    Joe

7. TOGG

TOGG

8. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

OH MY TOGG!!! I will never be seen again now, thanks a lot, lol!!! My compulsiveness is in full swing now, I can have a field day at that link! But if you are out there now, can you possibly tell me this, which I was just about to start a new thread about: is there anywhere I can still get Outlook Express 4 or 5?? I upgraded Office 97 to Office 2000, including Outlook 2000. I then removed Outlook Express 5 (or was it 4) from Add/Remove, even ignoring the warning message that 4.0 or higher is required to run Outlook/Outlook Express (yes I have them confused I'm sure). Of course I saw immediately that when I opened Outlook 2000, I got a message saying OE wouldn't work because 4.0+ was missing.

HERE'S the weirdest part: even though MS doesn't make OE 4/5 available on its site anymore, that day I WAS able to find ie5setup.exe on my PC and use it successfully to download individual components (chose OE 5). (FYI, I found two copies of ie5setup.exe with different dates, one didn't work, presumably tried to connect to an outdated link.) It downloaded fine and was on my desktop and in Add/Remove again, and I could start Outlook 2000 without the error.

But... it had installed right on my desktop (not just a shortcut) and I didn't like that, so I changed some settings, removed it, and went to download it again... and no go, all day, it closes after trying to connect to 'net and just says unable/try again later. With any other more current prog I'd probably assume the server was busy, but in this case, I somehow feel like it was just some crack in the universe fluke that allowed me to d/l it the first time, since it is supposedly not even there anymore! (And, since Outlook 2000 was already on the PC the first time I succeeded, it isn't some version conflict thing.)

Any hypotheses on all this; or do you know where I can get OE 4/5? Surely I can't be the only person on the net who needs to reinstall it as a foundation, but searching has gotten me absolutely nowhere! (Found a d/l link at only one site, and it indeed didn't work.) Thanks so much again!

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

10. TOGG

TOGG

11. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

Hi Togg! In the meantime I did find stand-alone OE 5.01 at Tucows, and d/l it, but when I go to start the exe it says 'Can't continue, newer version of IE detected (I have 5.5)' and closes. :( I guess it and IE are too linked together to do this separately with differing versions. Looks like the best option is to uninstall IE 5.5 and start over, but don't want to do that, have no real reason to think my friend I'm giving the PC to would ever even use OE... just thought I'd install all options for him in case. And since it worked once I can't let it go, grrrr!. Why the @#$%!! was I able to use the 'automated' IE utility to d/l individual components the other day!! Sheesh what a mystery!

12. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

Another FYI... saw a post elsewhere where someone was also getting the 'newer version' message (don't remember what his circumstance was), and was able to stop it and proceed by uninstalling the Google toolbar. Since I had indeed put that on after my successful OE component download, I thought I'd try it (even tho the successful d/l never opened any visible IE window). But I just renamed its folder and dll (it doesn't use an exe), rather than uninstalling it, and that did stop it from loading in IE. But, did not solve the problem for me. If you think the hypothesis was feasible, and that the toolbar could still be interfering even tho it's not loading, let me know! Ok I'm gettin way out there now but ya never know right? ;)

13. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

OMIGOSH I figured out how I got it to work the other day, can't believe it! Had to click on it from the Office 2000 disc, and not ie5setup.exe (that gave the same 'newer version' error) but ie5oem.exe!

Togg (or anyone), seems like you may know a lot about W95... by chance can you tell me, since I already have higher versions of all but one of the dlls included in the Windows Libraries Update for W95 (except one, last on the list, that I can copy from another PC), and don't appear to have the symptoms it fixes, should I skip that update? Thanks again!

14. TOGG

TOGG

Sorry, I can't be any more help regarding your latest question.

I upgraded from 95 to 98 Gold in 1999/2000, and my knowledge of computers and software is based on what I read on various forums and websites. I don't actually 'know' very much at all!

15. Ms. Mia

Ms. Mia Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the links! As I comb through I will probably end up learning more than I even need to (about an ancient old beast I can't wait to get rid of actually! ;)) Am now also wondering if I should bother with the DUN 1.4 update, I have 1.3 already and sounds like 1.4 deals with connection types I/my friend wouldn't even use. (Couldn't resist plastering that up there in case anyone does answer about the other update. ;))

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice