1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wallpaper abducted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TonyJ1023, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TonyJ1023

TonyJ1023 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm running WinXP and downloded something that took over my desktop wallpaper. An all black screen comes up saying, "Warning anything you do on this computer is recorded etc.. " to remove this go to this website, which has since disappeared. In the Windows directory the suspect wallpaper is present and I deleted it. Now the wallpaper is just plain white and if I go to display properties, and change it back to my original, the old wallpaper comes up but all the icons and the toolbar at the bottom is lost. This renders the computer non functional and has to be shut down.

Anybody have any ideas on how to correct the problem without a full reformat and reload of WinXP? I tried a reload (repair) but it didn't help. Anything in the registry that could be edited?

Thanks,
    TonyJ

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi TonyJ1023, Welcome to TSG!!

Create a permanent folder on your hard drive for Hijackthis, like My Documents\HJT
    Click on this link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe and "Save" hijackthis to the folder you have created.

Double click on the program to run hijackthis, click "scan" then click on "Save Log".

Post a copy back here and someone will be happy to review it.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

3. TonyJ1023

TonyJ1023 Thread Starter

Just as a follow up to this problem. Adding another user corrected the desktop. The only problem with that was everything had to be set up for the new user. This was a good sign that XP was not bugged up, only the current user identity. It wa a real pain so for now I'm just living with a big white section on my desktop until a definite answer comes allong.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Do what Cyber has instructed you have some malware

This goes towards removing the background, but will not fix your system as the malware remains

Go to Control Panel > Display.
    Click on the "Desktop" tab then click the "Customize Desktop" button.
    Click on the "Web" tab.
    Under "Web Pages" you should see an entry checked called something like "Security" or similar.
    Select that entry and click the "Delete" button. Click OK then Apply and OK.

5. TonyJ1023

TonyJ1023 Thread Starter

Thank you very much. This did it. My wallpaper is complete again. I really appreciate the help on this site.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice