1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wallpaper Image Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by FallFromINFINITY, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FallFromINFINITY

FallFromINFINITY Thread Starter

Ok, here's the issue:

WINDOWS XP Pro SP2

I've got this background up for a while and it becomes infected with a worm in which the AV, on autodetect, quarantines it, moving it to a different folder. For a while there were no problems, the background was fine. Then a few days later I got tired of looking at the background and decided to change it. So, I went to a new picture, right clicked on it and selected "Set as Desktop Background" and nothing changed, so I logged off and then on again. Still nothing. So I restarted the computer, and yet, no change. I right-clicked on the desktop and selected properties, going to the Desktop tag and found it looking like the attached image(Sorry, I don't have an online image-hosting account). The list of backgrounds is inactive, the "Browse" button is inactive, and even the "Position" drop down menu is inactive. None of them respond to anything. The only thing I can do is change the background color and use Active Desktop, which I have reluctantly been using.

I've looked through the registry time and time again at both my account options and the current user options. This problem occurs in only my account, and with either admin, or limited access. There is no malware detected and no explorer problems. I cannot figure out what to do and would like a bit of help. Although the problem is not too relevant to function, it is annoying me to no end.

Attached Files:

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

On this forum, I saw someone saying delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "Wallpaper"=SZ:C:\WINDOWS\desktop.html from the registry. Make sure you back up that key before doing it.

You should probably also go to the Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs forum and create a new topic.

3. FallFromINFINITY

FallFromINFINITY Thread Starter

Thanks, that worked. Everything is working now. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/711981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice