1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Walmart browser Uninstall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lgjteck, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lgjteck

lgjteck Thread Starter

System: WindowsXP Home Edition with Service Pack 1

I formerly had Walmart as my ISP, 56K phone modum service. I used it for over a year uneventfully. During the week between Xmas and New Years 2005 it suddenly ceased to function.

My local Walmart store informed me that my area was no longer a Walmart ISP service area. They had pulled the plug on me without warning. So, I signed up with Adelphia high speed cable service. Once I was back on line and confident in the new service I decided to uninstall the Walmart software. It was taking up 186MB of disk space on my D: drive. It would not uninstall.

The Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" utility couldn't find the Walmart installation even though the Walmart icon was present in the "Currently installed programs:" list. I looked in the "wmconnect" folder. There was a link to an uninstall program. I clicked the link, nothing.... I followed the link path and looked in the destination folder, no uninstall program there. I found the notepad INSTALL document and there was a record of the Uninstall program being installed in the folder where the link was pointed. Where did the Uninstall program go??? Did Walmart hack my computer and erase it?

I tried simply deleting the Walmart folders but that corrupted Internet Explorer and I had to do a System Restore back to a point before deleting the folders. I no longer had the Walmart CD so I can't reinstall to replace the uninstall utility then ununstall. This leaves me with no way to rid my computer of 186MB of worthless software.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did yo solve it? Could someone e-mail me the Walmart Uninstall program? Has anybody actually uninstalled Walmart? How did it work? Any thought or suggestions? Thanks in advance for you help

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, First let's move your thread, it belongs more in All Other Software I feel! No problem...

When WMConnect ceased to function as you posted, that probably broke the program, it will not uninstall correctly or at all...

Tons of Registry entries would need to be removed to fix that.

The only thing that might is to reinstall it, and you need the same version CD you had. I know ONE gal that uses WMConnect, I fix her computers often....WMConnect has gone away, and has put Earthlink in place, to provide Internet service. :eek:

I need some good info about what version of WMConnect you had/have...

www.belarc.com

Belarc Advisor might just show us what that was: Its a free small utility that can show you a great deal about the computer. Download it from my link below, use the Free Download button at the site to save it to your desktop, double click and install it, when it opens it uses an Internet Explorer page....all I need to have you post is down under the Installed Software or similar heading, just the numbers and stuff for WMConnect please.

If that matches what my friend uses, I can snail mail you a copy of it, you can install it and that should allow you to uninstall it correctly. (She is switching to DSL) Long shot but I've hit stuff once in awhile....:D

3. Byteman

Hi, Have you been able to work on this or solved it?

Do you want to try what I posted?

4. lgjteck

lgjteck Thread Starter

Moderator,
    I appologize for posting in an inappropriate category, this is the very first time I've used your forum. I certainly have no issue related to moving to a new category.

As I said in my original post, I no longer have the installation disk. There was only one installation disk that I know of, Walmart was giving them away like popcorn a couple of years ago. I came in a bright blue cardboard holder, the disk label is yellow with a blue star. Perhaps your friend still has hers. Was she successful in uninstalling her Walmart stuff?

I haven't taken any action yet, I'd like to see a few replies from people who have successfully uninstalled without corrupting their other software. frankly, I no longer trust the Walmart software after the way I, the customer, have been treated. No wonder everybody hates Walmart.

I'm going to sit tight for now and see if any success stories pop up. Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply. jgjteck

5. smidgen

smidgen

What I've done with something like that is to use Regseeker.At the top left click on find in registy , type in something like Walmart etc. let it find all to do with that subject and delete, it will backup what you delete and can put back if you find your missing something you need. Address below for free program. Note:make sure you put a check on backup.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

6. Byteman

Hi, I was waiting to hear back from you, haven't asked her yet, but I can today and will post what version of CDs she has.

Usually, reinstalling will correct any missing files and allow a normal uninstall, but if it is similar to AOL, every time you run the install CDs it may create a new copy... and again, it might work.

I agree, you might want to wait and see what others have run into. As far as I know, she has not uninstalled WMConnect just yet- I had her notebook here about two weeks ago, when she told me about WMConnect going to Earthlink, at that time I did a new clean install for her, and did not have to uninstall the WMConnect software.

I'm going to call her as soon as the kids free up my phone and see if she has a CD left. She would know if the software uninstalled, as she has a couple of other machines that used WMConnect and probably has uninstalled or tried to. I have to confirm that for you.

7. Byteman

Hi, I have the Walmart CD for WMConnect install if you still need one- Private Message me please.
    The girl has not uninstalled WMConnect just yet so I can't answer about that.
    She claims she is still using WMConnect, but your post said it was already disabled where you are.
    Where she lives they are replacing it with Earthlink.

The link to send me a PM is in my profile, just click my username

8. lgjteck

lgjteck Thread Starter

Success!! I found the original Walmart installation disk so I was able to regenerate the Uninstall routines (there were two of them) and successfully performed the uninstall. Thanks to all for your suggestions. LGJ

9. Byteman

Hi, Glad you have solved the problem and thanks for posting back here. I will mark this thread solved for you. You can by using the Thread Tools button, in the future go ahead and mark your thread when you feel it is finished. Good work!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice