1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WAN v LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fanis, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

Guys, I'm at a friend's house on vacation. Connecting to their dsl/home network. Used their 128-bit security key for WEP and now, my 1394 and wireless network connection both show to be connected. However, I cannot access the internet, unless I plug in the ethernet cord. I'm not experienced in networking. Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks,
    Fanis

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How about 10 to 1 odds that you typed the WEP hex key wrong? :)

If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

3. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

Think you must be onto something! cmd does show both IP addresses, but when I ping the router, all four packets are lost! I thought because I could connect to their network, that I must have typed in the correct key, but from what you are saying - the key must work with the router (sbc 2wire) for wireless connections only?

Fanis

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, the Wired Equivalent Privacy key is for the wireless. If you typed the wrong key, you may be "connected" to the router, but it's the same as if you and the router are talking different languages--you are not really communicating.

What do you mean by "both IP addresses"?

5. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

Actually, I guess there are three, one IP address for the ethernet, one for the wireless Intel Pro, and one for the router/gateway. (Again, the ethernet connection is what is working and allowing me to communicate with you.)

Next?

6. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

TerryNet, I'm tuckered out tonight. I'll check back in the morning to see if yall can help more. Even using the ethernet cord, it keeps dropping the connection for lengthy periods of time. I'm also wondering about the WEP key that our friend has because I've retyped it numerous times with no luck. When I look at the WEP settings on our friend's laptop, there are only 8 astericks representing the key, rather than the 128-bit hex key. Does that sound like they've changed it to a passkey instead of the one on their initial printout of settings? He is very computer-illiterate - even more than me! He doesn't know of any other key or any changes, but has worked with sbc/yahoo in setting it up - just following their instructions. Is there a way to go into his laptop's registry or anywhere to see if the key is still supposed to be 26 digits (13 hex)?

I am trying to update some websites by week's end. If I can't get this fixed, I may have to find a hotspot in town.

Thanks,
    Fanis

7. extrados

extrados

Fanis,

If you go to http://gateway.2wire.net > Home Network > Wireless Settings using a directly connected computer, you can set the key. However, it will probably only show 8 *'s there as well -- it's a security feature to make password guessing more difficult.

Of a bit more concern would be that you lose connection via ethernet as well. Does your friend also lose connection at that point, or just you? If both of you do, go to http://gateway.2wire.net/management > Troubleshooting > DSL Diagnostics and see if it has any helpful info -- look for readings marked "Suspicious..." which would indicate some sort of filtering/wiring issue.

extrados

8. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

No, our friend's laptop is hooked up wirelessly and had no loss of connection. I'll try another ethernet cord and try a different ethernet port on the gateway to see if that corrects the problem on the LAN - right now it is working fine again!

I checked settings on the gateway.2wire adddress you gave above. (Thanks!) However, it is still weird. The network name is the default, rather than the custom name previously assigned to the network. The default system encryption key is selected (a 10 digit number on the bottom of the 2wire) rather than showing digits or astericks representing the 128-bit, 26 digit hex key our friend thought was his key. (He has a print out of his "Wireless Network Settings" - a page that said to "Print this document and store it in a safe place for future reference.") Nothing matches! So, I thought the 2wire somehow reverted to defaults.

When I go into my computer's wireless network settings, at a 64-bit level, it asks for either a 5 character passkey or a 10 digit hex key (the latter is where I entered the 10 digit number on the bottom of the 2Wire) - NO LUCK! At a 128-bit level, it asks for a 13 character passkey or a 26 digit hex key (the latter is where I tried the 26 digit key from his printout). Again, no luck!

Shouldn't there be only one wireless network key? Shouldn't the settings on the gateway.2wire website be the correct settings for any 2wire gateway through which I'm connecting. If not, I am mixed up! :confused:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

Also post a copy of your ipconfig /all so we can see if there are any clues in there.

10. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

I've tried without encryption many many times to no avail, but I'll try again! Also, below is my ipconfig /all - I see where some things say "Enabled.....: No" - should any of these be enabled?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TOMJANIS
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-9D-90-3F-E6
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:29:08 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:29:08 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mi
    ni PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-48-6E-93
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.68
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a static IP on your wireless adapter, so make sure it is outside the router's Dhcp range (or you could end up with duplicate IP addresses on the network).

Why are you using a static IP? Using it means you have to ping the router to see if you are actually connected.

I'd check your laptop's web site to make sure you have the latest driver and utility for your Intel adapter. I also suggest using the Intel utility and make sure Windows' WZC is disabled.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When he says to try it without encryption, he means to disable encryption on BOTH ends, you have to turn it off on the router too! :D

13. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

TerryNet & JohnWill - thank you both. I'm not sure about all the terminology, but I think the "static IP" is the IP address I assigned after the router would not automatically do so. If there is a way someone can walk me through going back and trying to get the router to assign it correctly, I'll be glad to do so. However, as for disabling the encryption on our friend's router - I'm not so sure about that. Is that the same thing as removing the WEP security on the network?

Fanis

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Is that the same thing as removing the WEP security on the network?"

Yes. It's not unusual at all to need to do this, even with a connection that was working before. As soon as you get a successful connection, you put the WEP (or, better, WPA) security back on. If you again have a problem, then you know it has to do with the encryption because everything else worked for you.

If you reset your TCP/IP properties to 'obtain auto' again, the router will assign the IP address just as it does for your ethernet connection. The reason it is not doing so now is almost definitely because of the "talking different languages" I introduced in post #4.

15. Fanis

Fanis Thread Starter

I'm checking for updates now. After that's done, I will try to obtain IP address automatically and as a last resort I will disable the encryptions. So, basically, once I disable encryption on both, I can enable it again - so I will know for sure what key code is on there, right?

May be tomorrow before I get back to you, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice