Solved: Want Drive 1 to show as Drive 0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MowermanEd

Today I installed a new 640 Gig HDD to my system. Apparently because of my stupidity I ended up with the System Drive as the #1 drive and my Backup drive as the #0 drive. It should be just the other way around. They are both SATA drives plugged into the 2 available recepticles on my motherboard. Can I simply switch the cables to correct this problem? I'm concerned because the boot sector should be on the #0 drive.

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. But, what problem are you trying to solve? Are you unable to boot?

You should be able to just wswitch the cables . . but it is not necessary unless you cannot boot

MowermanEd

Here's what I've tried.
1. I've switched the cables and it will not boot. It say's OS error.
2. I've disconnected the Backup drive and when I do that it boots with
the 640G drive showing as the #0 drive (success :) )
3. When I recconnect the backup drive. it goes back to the way it shows
in my attached image.

I think I'm going to reformat my backup drive and then reinstall it and format from
the OS. I believe that will finally give me the 640G system drive as #0 and the backup
drive as the #1 drive. I'll let you know.

What is the boot order in BIOS . . you should be able to tell it which to boot from.

MowermanEd

It boots fine, no problems there, The 640G sys drive is listed as the boot drive. My problem is that disc management shows this drive as drive #1 instead of drive #0. I guess I'm being a little too anal about it because everything works as it should. I just thought that the boot drive was supposed to be the first drive, i.e. #0.

The current drive 0 has the MBR on it. That is why is is Drive 0. You would need to wipe everything and start over.

With SATA controllers, it does not matter which is the boot drive . . 0 or 1

MowermanEd

Jmwills,
No, in this case the 640 Gig sys drive has the boot sector on it and it is shown as #1 drive in disc management. I know this because I removed the #0 320 Gig drive and booted the box with no problems whatsoever.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
With only one drive connected at a time ... Can you boot to either HDD ???
This should tell you if each HDD is bootable.

If that is the case, you need to look at the connectors into the MOBO. They are each labeled.

MowermanEd

noyb,

You don't understand the question. Only one drive is bootable and it's the 640 gig sys drive. It will boot just fine. However, it's listed as the #1 drive in disc management and I think it should be listed as the #0 drive.

jmwills,

No matter which of the recepticles the boot drive is plugged into it still remains as the #1 drive and not the #0. Unless I disconnect the 320 gig drive and only have the 640 gig drive plugged in, THEN it shows as the #0 drive but won't stay that way when I plug the other drive in.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
noyb,..You don't understand the question. Only one drive is bootable and it's the 640 gig sys drive.
That's very likely :D ... But if the 640gig will boot as the ONLY drive connected ..
Then it should boot as Disc 0 when connected to the SATA port 0 ..
and the backup connected to SATA Port 1.

The BIOS should boot to the first Bootable system it finds in the SATA port sequence...
and the Disc will be labeled as such ... Disc 0 = SATA port 0 .. etc ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online