1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Want to buy a new computer, so which OS is best?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by linsjean, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Hello,

I will be filing my taxes soon and I know I will get back at least $1200, and I want to invest in a new computer, most likely a laptop. I have heard that Windows 8 still has a lot of fixes to resolve and wondering if they even sell new computers with Windows 7 loaded?

Do you know of any good brands and models that has pretty good amount of memory and disc space and fast processor?

I so much miss using my camcorder because it needs firewire to connect to a computer. Is there any such things as an adapter to change it to USB?

I am in the process of backing up everything from my current laptop onto my external HD and hopefully all the files are safe and not corrupted? How can I test all files on lappy and on external HD?

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes.

Yes, but many reasonable people have very different opinions about which brands and models are good. Any brand (Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.) will have its fans and its detractors. You can get a good hint of my preferences by looking at my Computer Specs. If you are buying with Windows 7 or Windows 8 I'd advise to get the 64-bit version and at least 4 GB RAM, with 6 or 8GB not unreasonable. For some people 100 GB disk space is plenty, others want 1TB or 2TB. How much are you using now?

I think so. Have you searched? This seems to be one such cable.

3. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet,

Regarding the cable, no I have not seen those, but what about this review, "Unfortunately this cable did not work for me. I should have listened to the things that I read online and should have known that you cannot make a Firewire 1394 to USB connection. They are just not made to connect with each other". Do you need to know the make and model of my camcorder to do more searching for compatibility?

Wow, you have 4 computers? I did take note of the specs though, gives me a good starting point. You were wondering about how much RAM I have? Here are my specs (and no wonder I have issues, plus my laptop is about 4 years old).

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3002 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1309 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 227288 MB, Free - 142881 MB; D: Total - 11182 MB, Free - 1874 MB;
    Motherboard: Wistron, 3612
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

I agree with Terry.

Windows Vista Home Premium can handle a maximum of 4 GB ram.

Which brand, model # model # laptop have you?

Some manufacturers limit the amount of ram that it can use.

For example, I have an HP laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium [ WVHP ], 32 bit. Even though WVHP can handle 4 GB, HP has placed a limit of 2 GB as the maximum amount of ram.

RF123

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have never used Firewire (IE 1394), and you can search for products, compatibility and reviews as well as I can I'm sure. :) Remember that most of us are far more eager to write a review when something has gone wrong than when it has gone right. You may have to just try one or several and see for yourself. One question though--which may reveal that the only camcorder I ever had was 25 or so years ago. Most cameras these days have an SD card which can be easily removed and many computers and printers have readers for those cards. If your camcorder has an SD card you don't need a cable because the SD can be used just like a floppy disk or USB flash drive.

Actually I didn't ask about RAM; I asked hard drive usage. If I did the math right you are using a little less than 100 GB (adding "C" and "D" and subtracting the free space). So, any hard drive at least 500 GB (double your current one) or even a little smaller will probably satisfy you.

Your PC sounds very similar to my five year old HP dv6500z, except that I upgraded to Windows 7. One difference is that yours is a Compaq, and I think that is code for "low end." If you buy HP again, and are able to, I say avoid Compaq.

Do you do anything really memory intensive, such as editing video files?

6. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

My brand, make and model are on my sig at the bottom of each of my posts.

It will only take 3 gigs total of RAM which is what i have in it right now. Was told you have to buy in doubles and I don't have enough slots. So it's maxed at 3 gigs.

7. linsjean

linsjean Thread Starter

My camcorder has those mini cassettes and it's been so long that I have forgotten how I downloaded my movies onto my former iMac.

Well, I used to edit video files when I had firewire and that Apple computer had much less disc space than this laptop.

Thanks for the advice. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice