1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Want to find other d/l sites besides CNET!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by WButchar, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy New Year!

It's been quite a while since I've been on this site. Been busy.

I do have a question, but first I'm going to rant. I apologize for this and that I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm doing it here.

I used to use CNET to look for different software, but now they try and include some crappy d/l thing everytime, unless you can manage to find your way around it. Now when I'm looking for new software, I'll check out CNET to maybe find it and get the review, BUT I'll DOWNLOAD IT FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE and NOT CNET!

CNET's "add-on" is full of garbage, spyware or whatever and you have to spend time removing the darn thing off the pc. I no longer trust ANYTHING off their site and recommend it to NO ONE! Also, their check box system on the left to refine the search doesn't give you enough time to check off more than one box at a time before it starts searching and starts clogging the system. And there is no comment or contact info to let them know their site is beginning to suck, so they obviously are not interested in anyone's comments or suggestions, so their site can rot as far as I care.

That's my rant!.... And now here's my question:

Can anyone suggest similar sites to that of CNET that gives reviews on the software, but where the downloads are CLEAN! Not "we'll give you faster d/l, but it'll cost ya!" or "Here! Try this spyware on for size!",... etc.

It's sad when good sites turn to garbage. I hope Techguy's site never follows in their footsteps. So far, everyone I've suggested to go to this site are happy they did. The interface and layout here is understandable, quick and comes with no spyware and junk, Also, you get REAL help and answers when you need them!

Anyway, sorry about the rant. Have a Merry Christmas everyone! :)

2. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

I've downloaded from Cnet and never had a problem.

You just click "custom" and uncheck all boxes that have anything you don't want.

3. 2twenty2

2twenty2

4. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Hey PS! Happy Holidays!

When I use their "Narrow your Results", CNET's search engine starts searching at every check or uncheck I do: one at a time.I can't click on more than one and if I do, it ignores it. Eventually the whole thing is clogged up and confused. It's a horrible advanced search option.

Also, for much of the software downloads, CNET wants you to d/l their downloader which is way too much like spyware instead of giving me an option for a clean d/l from the product's site.

For example: if I wish to d/l Registry Jumper, it gives me <cbsidlm-cbsi5_2_0_83-Registry_Jumper-ORG2-10382868>, which includes CNET's downloader, pop ups, and spyware looking garbage, which I have to hunt through my system to delete. Occasionally, if I'm lucky, I'll get a clean file name and download. Other times, I just remember the software name and look for it somewhere else.

I've checked on line and apparently, MANY people have the same problem with CNET. And without contact info, CNET has no idea what may be going on.

That's why I'm looking for a more reliable site.

Thanks.

5. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Thanks Knuckehead!.... (Why does it seem I'm being rude???...LOL)

Yeah, I've used a couple of those sites, plus Tucows, etc. I'll take another look plus check out snap files. Some sites don't have the reviews, which I like to read beforehand.

Thanks again!

6. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Hey Knucklehead!

I really like SnapFile's reviews format the best! The others, I'm familiar with them and like FileHippo for its Comments section. Usually I go to MG if I know about the software I'm looking for because the d/l's are clean. SP is probably my last bet out of the 4, but it's still good.

I'm just disappointed with CNET because it used to be my favorite. As it began to progress downward, in my opinion, I kept letting it ride and put up with it. It's just not worth it any more. Kind of like when Facebook started to how it is now.

Yup! Change for change's sake is not always a good thing! That's why I like this site. When they do a change, they don't mess it up. Mind you, this site kind of has a bit of an advantage because the people here are those who try and solve difficulties and not introduce them.

Have a great holiday! :)

7. stantley

stantley

8. WButchar

WButchar Thread Starter

Hey Stantley! Thanks for the additional info. Don't think I've heard of either one you mentioned. Checked them out and really like the first two. Not so much the third.

Thanks again! Merry Christmas and HNY! :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice