1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WANT to have password required

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jimi, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimi

jimi Thread Starter

ok never seen this request before so here ya go.....
    peer to peer lan, mix of 98, xp pro/home, 2000 - i have a xp home machine that i want to require a password to be entered when someone accesses a directory on this machine, well when i went to share the folder it came up with the are you sure? dialog and i went by the wizard and just shared, now anyone can just open the folder. firewall is on.

hope this makes sense - what more info you need??

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Go into the security tab and take out anything that has granted Everyone access or full open access then add in the user ID's you want to have access (create them on your local machine that your sharing) then when trying to access them on the other machines it should prompt you for a login and you will need to provide that machines credentials. I know this works across XP I believe it should work on the 98 clients as well.

3. jimi

jimi Thread Starter

where exactly is this located??
    i just noticed that under the admin tool in pro i have a "local security policy" icon, no such animal in home, and the target file secpol.msc isn't even on the home pc.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

On XP in order to add Users you need to right click on my computer select manage click on System Tools and Local Users and groups. In order to set permissions you need to right click on the share you created and select properties and select the security tab.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm not sure this is exactly what you wanted but if you have NTFS, you can change the security settings on the shared directory itself.

Right click on the folder
    Sharing and Security
    Then change the permissions'
    Make sure at least the local admin (and maybe a few other local admins) have rights
    Then add just whoever else you want to have access.

6. jimi

jimi Thread Starter

no local users in the system tools area, i do in pro
    can right click the shared folder option then are refresh & help.

yup Bob it's ntfs and i'm trying to get a folder on this machine for each user and force them to enter a password so that each user will have their own storage area (cheap file server if you will), and the pic shows what i'm seeing when i do the above

Attached Files:

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Pretty sure you can only password protect a folder for network file acces this way with Win98 or 3rd party software.

You could create individual shared directories and only allow the people you want to be able to access those shared directories through the permissions I mentioned earlier.

As far as adding users, there is too much information for an OS that you don't have. With XP Home, go to the Control Panel / User accounts. That can be use for both XP Home an Pro.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Maybe a question would be, what is your goal.

Is your goal for a user to be prompted for a password each time they access a certain network share?

Or is your goal for each user to have their own directory on the network that only they can have access to?

9. jimi

jimi Thread Starter

this is what i trying to achieve, 2 HD's in a machine that has a tape backup system that is automated to get their doc's on this machine for backup purposes since they never back-up, C: drive would have directories called bob, sally mary etc and bob would have access to the bob directory after a password prompt, so mary wouldn't have access etc.

hope i made it clear, if not ask way

oh and Bob - Airborne (y) - had never been to your web site (y)

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, is your goal to have only BOB have access to his own directory or is it to have BOB only have access his own directory and to have to enter a password first. If there is an additional requirement of also needing to enter a password first, I guess I'm not sure of why that would be so critical.

As previously mentioned, it is easy to have each user only have access to their own directories. If on top of that goal, you also want them to have to enter in a password first, that is more complicated.

Also, if you always are going to back up like this, why not configure their applications to just have the default settings to be on that network computers. The you won't have to automate anything as far as copying files from the desktops first.

11. jimi

jimi Thread Starter

ok i'll leave the passowrd part alone for the time being, only want bob to be able to access the bob directory. and i re-read the above posts but don't have permission setting available on the shared directory. where to now?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since what you really want to do is restrict access to only certain users, then that information has been previously provided.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also, turn off Simple File Sharing.

You can do this from the Windows Explorer
    Tools / Folder Options / View
    Scroll to the bottom and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing

This should enable the ability to set specific access for individual folders.

Make sure you have at least on other local admin that can access the folder as well - just to be on the safe side.

So for example, you could make a directory called C:\DATA. Below that would be directories called BOB, JANE, etc. for each user you want to have their data stored there. Share each of those individual directories and give just the access you want. If you need to create user accounts on that computer, the instructions for that has been previously posted as well.

Hope this gives you some more ideas on possible solutions for what you want to accomplish.

14. jimi

jimi Thread Starter

hey this is exactly what i was looking for, but this info wasn't given before and looking at the MS KB home version always has simple file sharing enabled, so of to pro i go. thanks again.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice