1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Want to move XP to new hard disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shockeymoe, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shockeymoe

shockeymoe Thread Starter

My daughters HP desktop is so corrupted with a virus or malware or something that it has become unusable. Every time any application is launched the are errors saying "...file xxxx is not a valid Windows image..."
    System Restore hangs when trying to set to a previous restore point. The virus software has been turned off by the attack. Firefox launches randomly with sites offering anti-virus software. There is a large flashing box on the desktop claiming the existence of various viruses. Even safe mode does not avoid the problems.
    I have another hard disk in the same computer that stores files for everyone on the network. I thought a simple solution would be to re-install XP from the original CD on to the other HD. How do I do that?

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You want to install XP on to the second drive? You will lose all the family's data. Why not re-install it on the first (corrupt) drive?

I would disconnect the second drive temporarily, boot from the XP CD, delete existing partitions (when applicable, flushing all the problems away) and install the OS. Once it's all up and running (all the drivers and updates), add the second drive back in and set up your shares appropriately.

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

Might try a free program download[ google[ smitfraudfix]

4. hrlow2

hrlow2

Would be better for your data to post in the Malware section and get cleaned.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    shockeymoe:

If I'm understanding you correctly, there are 2 physical hard drives in that computer and not a single hard drive with 2 partitions, correct?

If that's the case, I agree with formatting the problem hard drive and doing a fresh install of XP. If that computer is infested with viruses, malware, etc., it's likely to be a long and difficult process to get it resolved in the "Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs" section, and there's no guarantee that it'll get resolved.

To save you any further grief and work before you plunge into doing that, let's make sure that you have the necessary XP drivers saved and burned off to a CD-R before you start.

What's the model name and model number of that HP desktop?

Go into the Device Manager and click the + in

Display Adapters

Network Adapters

Sound Video And Game Controllers

What's listed under each heading?

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. buf

buf

I really don't envy shockymoe's work ahead of him to get the hard drive cleaned and ready for a re-install of XP. The real hard work comes after he begins the installation of XP and then installing the software for all her/his programs.
    But flavallee, are you saying those 3 items at the bottom on your post, namely Display Adapters, Network Adapters and Sound Video And Game Controllers drivers info are the main ones to be sure he has in hand before the re-install of XP begins. I really wanna know an answer for my own personal knowledge. Perhaps these drivers' info with drivers on his XP CD will at least get him started once the re-install is done. I trust my post is not regarded as hijacking his thread. It is not my intention that it will.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

It boils down to either a clean xp install or remove the virus [not in order]

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    buf:

Those are the primary devices to have drivers for so that the graphics controller will work properly, the sound will work, and the internet connection(wired and/or wireless) will work. I don't mention the modem driver because most users no longer use dial-up. If the chipset is known and isn't part of the graphics driver, like it is in some computers, you want to obtain the chipset driver too. Another one that I also add to the mix is the current release of Microsoft DirectX 9.0c(March 2009).

------------------------------------------------------------------

9. buf

buf

I greatly appreciate your further comments and I will add the two additional sets of drivers needed to the 3 you listed already and save the 5 items to a thumb drive for any future use.
    Enjoy but be careful in those caves; assuming you are "still into that".
    And no, I have never done that.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Save and burn the drivers to a CD-R instead of a USB flash drive. I've seen cases where the flash drive doesn't work and the files can't be accessed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I unhappily gave up cave diving after doing it for 21 years. With age comes lower back and knee problems, and it was a financial luxury that I could no longer afford.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    If you go for reinstalling XP, make sure drive 2 isn't be infected, or you're back to square 1.

12. buf

buf

I should have included what you are saying; burn them to CD and I use a flash drive also. Double backup coverage to such "goodies" is not overkill.
    Do you suppose the cold water in those caves contributed to the bone problems. Of course, I can attest to the aging process.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I don't have faith in USB flash drives when it comes to backing up important data. CD-R's is the only way I do it.

My lower back and knee problems was likely the result of many years of wearing and swimming with and climbing in and out of springs and sinkholes with 100+ pounds of gear on my back. I wore a full 3-piece wetsuit, so that kept me warm on most cave dives.

14. shockeymoe

Thank you all for the conversation so far. I am so swamped with work right now that I can't even digest this thread. Thanks again and I'll try to get to this soon. My daughter is very patient but she is waiting for me too.

15. shockeymoe

My daughter's friend came over and did the backup and reinstall for me. He has more free time than I have and he did an awesome job.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!