1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: want to watch dvd

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rwallace58, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwallace58

rwallace58 Thread Starter

I just would like to know what I need to do to be able to watch dvd's on my laptop. I would prefer it to be something that I did not have to pay additional money for. Also, on a different note, I bought this laptop from another person and would like to know how to get rid of the things that were left on here with his name and how to personalize it as my own. Thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Did you get any recovery discs with it or any discs and do you know if it has a recovery partition on it?

Make and model would be nice.

3. rwallace58

No I didn't get anything with it... It is compaq and i know its stupid of me but thats about all I know.Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 440 @ 1.86GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1525 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Controller 0 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 18256 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 30C6
    Antivirus: Symantec AntiVirus, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

This is the information that I got when I followed your directions in joining the group if this helps. When i have tried watching dvd it says something about not having a decoder. Thanks

4. Megabite

Megabite

Yea Vista Business did not come with it.

Try VCL free player and KMplayer...also you can download K-lite codec pack but some people have had problems with that and if you want to try that I will let you find them on the web.

5. Megabite

Megabite

To see if it has a recovery partition to set the PC to Factory reset. that means all data on there will be lost and it will install like when it was first bought. If it has a recovery partition that would remove all the junk on there and make the PC yours.

If it has one that is.

1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears.
    2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.
    3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".
    4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.

6. rwallace58

thanks so much... I will give this a try..I appreciate your help so much

7. Megabite

Megabite

No probs..

For K-lite codec that may allow you to play with Windows Media player......

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058168