1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wanted: Freeware Search & Replace Text Editor

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by goedel, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Would anyone know of a downloadable freeware, search & replace text editor that has the flexibility to allow line oriented deletions or insertions based on a key-word? More clearly, I wish, for example, to be able to find every occurrence of a specified word in the text and delete whatever follows it in that line of text; or insert a specified string after (or before) the word.

It would be nice if the editor could remove blank lines or groups of blank lines.

The freeware editors I have found do not seem to have such flexibility. They work on multiple files; I don't need that. One file at a time would be fine for me.

Suggestions?

2. hewee

hewee

A very simple notepad replacement call metapad.
    http://liquidninja.com/metapad

With the regular version you can have clickable links too.
    What's the difference between regular and LE?

Then doing what you want you can replace a word one at a time or all of the same words at once.

Works great and I have use metapad 10 years or so.

When I wanted to post something but it had my name all tru it because it was about the computer I just highlight my name and then replaced it with ?????. Do a seach again to double check and done.

Tells you how to set it up tp replace notepad too.
    http://liquidninja.com/metapad/faq.html

It opens right away too just like notepad.

Your love it.

No install either because it's a standalone file so just unzip it to it's own folder.

Not sure about the blank lines.

Maybe something like StripMail but you have to paste it into StripMail and then copy it out. But it may move some text around you don't want.

But metapad may also do it but I just never tried. I can high light all and then see spots that I can highlight again to delete groups of blank spots.

http://www.stripmail.net/

Work on a copy of files to start with tell you get the hang of it so you don't replace something you wish you keep.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Just to give another option, notepad++ also allows complex search and replace based on regular expressions. It's probably easier to use hewee's solution though.

4. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

@hewee
    I installed metapad. Reviewing the menu, I see no search or find function nor any replace function. I loaded the test file I wish to work with. The menu did not change. In the help area, I found no instructions for executing a simple find and replace in the test file. Puzzled!

5. owners4life5

owners4life5

6. owners4life5

owners4life5

7. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

@hewee
    I tried notepad++ , but its find and replace did not seem to offer the very complex means of eliminating an entire line based on the presence in that line of a find-word. When I was using QBasic, years ago, I wrote simple programs to read a file, line by line, and based on the presence of a character string to eliminate the entire line (simple don't write it to the output file!)

I find it difficult to understand why highly praised programs such as Textcrawler do not permit such a simple execution - but maybe I don't understand the program's subtleties well enough!

Thanks for you effort to help.

8. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

@owners4life5
    I am a Skype user. I want to have a hard-copy of my contacts. Skype does not have routing that outputs the contacts as a CSV file, for example. Its output is in the form of a card-file format. Still, I was able to take that output and change the type to a *.txt file. Problem is it is too expansive. I wish to eliminate some of the lines and keep only the NAME and the NUMBER line. That way I need not have 25 pages of printout. In fact, I could even convert it to a CSV file if I had a good text editor. Then I could read it with a spreadsheet program and put all my contacts on two pages.

Big problem: to find a text editor that will allow me to replace entire lines based on a keyword.

They don't seem to be designed for that.

Thanks for your reply.

9. hewee

hewee

Look again.

It's in the menu under Edit at the bottom.
    It's Ctrl+H
    It's the smaller "magnifying glass" with the two arrows. Other bigger "magnifying glass" is just the find only.

Attached Files:

10. owners4life5

owners4life5

11. hewee

hewee

Have not used QBasic but tried notepad++ but did not like it and keep using metapad.

Just looking at Wordpad and it has a replace also if you go to edit menu.
    It does a lot more but I don't use it much so not sure what all it can do.

12. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'm sure that anything with regex support would do what you're after if you can work out the regex string. Generally these programs don't offer the capacity you're after because you need nearly a full blown programming set to explain reliably to the machine what you're after.

Does your QBasic experience give you the skill to write a custom script to do this? I'd make one for you, but I'm a bit tied up in other work right now.

13. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Well folks, I have examined all the freeware text editors suggested, for which I thank you.

None, does a rather simple thing that an elementary program such as Qbasic can do:

Read a file sequentially; place each record in a buffer; examine the characters of each record in a loop to match a key word; if the key word is not found, write the record to output; if it is found, don't write the record - just go to the next record; continue until the entire file has been read. End of program!

No text editor to do a simple loop like that! !!!!

Take me back to DOS!!!!

14. hewee

hewee

15. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

hewee: I shall try it! It may take less time to delete the lines one by one, but I could use a QBASIC interpreter for the future.

Thanks much!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice