1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Warnings and errors

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by philtivvy, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    I think I have been the victim of some kind of scam from someone calling themselves logmein123.com.
    I did not do any of the things suggested so I am pretty sure nothing has happened to the computer but the scam started by directing me to the errors and warnings displayed in COMPUTER MANAGEMENT>SYSTEM.
    I was surprised to find about a dozen errors and about the same number of warnings.
    Is this important?
    If so what should I do about it?
    regards
    phil

2. haiden

haiden

What you got was something attempting to hijack your system. Your best bet would be to run a full system scan with a virus program. The EXACT thing happened to me , and now my pc is basically useless for net, and a few other things.

What do you have for a virus program?

3. haiden

haiden

Basically, the warnings you received are false. The program is attempting to get you to download something, correct? Telling you that there are viruses, etc?

4. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi haiden
    Thank you for your reply.
    My system (Windows XP home) is scanned daily by AVG free antivirus, from time to time I also run Spybot S&D,Malawarebytes Anti-malaware and Super Anti-spyware.
    I am not experiencing any particular problems other than the system being slower than when first installed. although as another contributor to these posts remarked "You are running a dinosaur, get a new computer"
    Any suggestions regarding the errors and warnings would be appreciated.
    regards
    phil

5. haiden

haiden

I fail to see how remarking on your computer is at all helpful. :/ Ah well, what can you do? :p

Can you please tell me how long this has been going on? And if you get a pop-up of a program that starts to scan files? It should, if it is what I think it is, appear on your task bar. (lower right hand corner).

6. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi again.
    This scam commenced with a telephone call to my partner claiming to be from MICROSOFT and stating a problem had been identified via the Internet, the call was then passed to "Our technical support department" which asked me to log in to "logmein123.com" at which point I terminated the conversation.
    I was suspicious of this call from the beginning as my partner is not the registered owner of the computer and rarely uses it.
    I believe the computer details, with my partners name attached, were passed or sold to the scammers by one of the online trading companies from whom my partner has being buying Christmas presents so watch out!
    regards
    phil

7. haiden

haiden

Oh, you should be OK then, Phil. Unless you actually went to a site, you should be fine. :)

That's a new one, though lol. I have never heard of anyone calling someone to get them to download their software like that.

I also wanted to add that this is why I do not use credit cards like that. IMO, your best bet is to use pre-paid cards to purchase online or otherwise. You simply cannot trust people these days with such information. Any issues please let us know! :) And happy holidays!

8. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi Haiden
    As I said in the reply which crossed with yours I am not, as yet, having any problems and there is no unusual activity or new icons.
    Most of the errors have "IdeChnDr" beside them although a couple have "Dhcp", the warnings are mainly "Tcpip"
    regards
    phil

9. haiden

haiden

IdeChnDr is part of the intel application accelerator driver. Perhaps you should update it to the latest version for your motherboard?

If possible, could you please post the entire error message(s)? I do not like the sounds of the error messages being given.

10. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi
    These are not pop up messages, they are the symbols which appear at the left hand end of the display shown COMPUTER MANAGEMENT (Local) >System tools>Event Viewer>System.
    I am not sufficiently au fait to know what they mean as there does not appear to be any description of the error except to put a number in the event column.
    Does this help?
    phil

11. haiden

haiden

Oh, my mistake. This is actually a bit too advanced for me. Though, I too have several warnings and errors in the computer management. I am glad you mentioned this though, it could also help me some in taking care of my issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am sorry I could not be of help, Phil. Surely one of the other members can help with this.

12. haiden

haiden

Phil, after consulting Google and punching in "Warning Remoteaccess 20169", I have found further explanations for this. You may be able to get some understanding of these errors, provided nobody can help, if you punch in what I did, but replace the "20169", with the numbers you have in the Event category. I am looking into this now...

13. TOGG

TOGG

14. philtivvy

philtivvy Thread Starter

Hi TOGG
    Thank you for the links.
    Just to be sure, can someone confirm that the best thing to do with the errors and warnings shown in the event viewer is ignore them until the computer actually misbehaves.
    regards
    phil

15. haiden

haiden

I'd never recommend ignoring any errors, because its always possible something worse can become of it. Its not exactly a solution to it, but ignoring rarely makes things go away. (especially ex's) :)

If you wish to get it sorted and none have an answer, all I can recommend is to keep researching via the website listed below, as well as Google.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=20169&eventno=25&source=RemoteAccess&phase=1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice