Solved: Wavy lines on monitor screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
My 19" monitor went through a brief period where it would have these long diagonal lines, moving in the direction from the top left hand corner to the bottom right hand corner. Usually I would just select Degauss to fix it. It went on for awhile and then just sort of stopped. Then recently, maybe a few weeks ago...I could hear a slight tick inside of the monitor. Now tonight, the lines are back and they're terrible. They go in the same direction, but a lot faster. Right now they are long and thick...then they get thinner and move faster. At first I thought it was just some kind of electrical interference. But the speakers aren't really that close, plus they are off most of the time. Is my monitor about to croak? I think the quality might be bad. It's a Future Power brand. I don't even think they are in business anymore lol. :confused:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
My guess is you can start digging the grave.

The good news is that they've come way down in price ;)

Does it do this in safe mode, if not it might be driver or refresh rate too high.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
LOL...yeah I started digging. This is definitely the worst I've ever seen it. The lines were just going left to right vertically. Now they're back to the fast diagonal. It does it in safe mode too. I don't hear that ticking noise anymore. But I had a feeling it was something more internal cause nothing would be interfering with it.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Yeah I kinda figured that. Guess it's only a matter of time before it goes.

AcaCandy said:
My guess is you can start digging the grave.

The good news is that they've come way down in price ;)
I would recommend an NEC/Mitsubishi 19" true flat crt, they run about $260ish

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Okay thanks. Looks like I will be doing some shopping this weekend. I've been meaning to get a flat screen anyway. Tired of lugging these huge heavy ones around.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
I just wanna get a good quality brand. Especially because I do graphic design. Definitely 17" or higher.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Okay...I just noticed something. I decided to try a different monitor and it does the same exact thing. I even unplugged the speakers and moved everything away from the screen. So instead, I looked at the cable and where it plugs into in the computer. When I plug in the monitor and screw in the top and bottom screw...only one goes in. The top one screws right in but the bottom just keeps turning. I see that wherever it is supposed to screw into...the piece isn't there. Is that what could be causing this? When I fiddle with the cord, the lines seem to go away. Is it because both screws aren't in completely? :confused:

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
(n) I've plugged in 3 different monitors and all of them have the same lines. I think it must be the video card. Any good brands to recommend?

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
I know. I figured it's the video card. I checked inside and the fan on it is moving. Pretty dirty though. I heard ATI is a good brand.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!