1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WD external HD questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubeckf, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have had no experience with an external HD, but got one for Xmas last year with a gift cert. The other day I used the backup program in windows xp and it acted as if it was backing up what I wanted backed up. When I went to restore it, it said no backup file found on this drive. What did I do wrong? Does it need to be formatted first like an internal one? If so, I didn't do that first. I would like to use it but don't want to lose what I thought I had saved.

2. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone

I'd be surprised if it wasn't already formatted. I've never used the XP backup utility so I can't comment on that but does the drive show up in My Computer and if so are there any files on it? I personally use syncback for backups on windows pcs.

3. Ravash

Ravash

i to recently purchased a WD HD and was wondering whats the best way to transer files from my main hard drive to the external one

4. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone

You should just be able to plug it in, switch it on and copy and paste onto it through my computer like any other disk.

5. Ravash

Ravash

thanks i appreciate the help

6. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

WD makes their own backup software/utilities that should have come with the drive. In most cases, you'll want to use that.

Cheers!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I hate the junk that comes with external hard disks. I'd much rather use real backup utilities.

Backup Applications For All Seasons:

For boot image backups, Acronis True Image, available at NewEgg for $30 downloaded, search for Acronis.

For file backups, Cobian Backup, available free from the author's site.

For synchronizing folders and even whole data drives, Beyond Compare

For synchronizing backup folders, SyncToy, available free from Microsoft.

8. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

I'm not sure I would use a blanket statement such as that...

Western Digital for example uses EMC Retrospect Express, which also supports encryption. Not exactly, "junk."

And Buffalo Technology DriveStations use Memeo Zero-Touch AutoBackup software, which is award winning, and again, not exactly, "junk."

In my opinion, as well as others, such as c|net, PC Magazine, and PC World, I think these are real utilities.

Cheers!

9. JohnWill

Well, they use crippled versions of these packages anyway. :)

10. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

Actually, they don't. It's a partnership between them and the software companies. If you read the fineprint, the license is for those devices only, not as if you bought them seperately.

So, if you own a WD external drive, or a Buffalo Technology external drive, it is the full version of that particular software package, but for use with only that particular device. A lot of these companies make the software for them anyway. It may be considered a "light" or "lite" version of another product, but it still has the abilities you need, none-the-less.

Heck... Sun doesn't make a majority of their hard drives. At least they didn't for a while. I'm not sure what they do now. It's been a while. But they have a Sun label on them. Why? Because they /hadhave an agreement between that hard drive manufacturer to resell/rebrand it with their name for a fee every year.

Cheers!

11. JohnWill

I still prefer a real imaging utility for making boot backups. Do either of these packages actually create a complete recovery image that will recover from a total disk crash? IMO, that's one of the key uses for an external drive. since one of the most traumatic events that can happen to a non-expert user is a total disk crash, it's important to be able to easily recover from such an event. Having to install your Windows and then all the applications is not a solution IMO.

12. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

Yes. But that wasn't the original question on this particular post. Sure, you could use Symantec Ghost to place an image on an external drive or on DVD, but this particular question was about backing up files, not making images of a computer.

13. JohnWill

If you look at my original post, I covered backing up files as well as image backups. Besides, many people don't realize the difference between backing up files and an image backup, so it's useful to give them the full range of options.

14. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    ok guys, let me tell you what I have.....I got it hooked up again this morning and it is recognized as C drive in My Computer. That's because originally there was a C drive HD and a slave & I removed one of them. Now, what it says is there is a back up file. When I click on it It says to make sure it is the right drive letter etc. Anyway, I had used the XP backup utility, as I originally said. I did move it to the desk top of my computer by clicking on move to in the my computer screen, and I tried to get it on a DVD, but it says the file is too large. Do I have any other recourse?

15. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    Finally, under advanced options, I got it to download to a file on my computer. It downloaded as a DAT file and I still can't get into it to see what all I need off it. I have already loaded a lot of things back into my computer since it's been almost a wk now. It says NTUSER DAT file. Can someone tell me how I can open that?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice