1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WD Live TV

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by adinunzio10, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adinunzio10

adinunzio10 Thread Starter

Okay so My moms birthday is coming up and i am looking to get her a good present this year.
    What I was looking at was the WD Live TV. But wanted to know all options and other peoples opinions on them.

I am looking for the best device for reasonable price of course that can be plugged into their TV via hdmi and comes with a remote, and for it to have the ability to have all our DVD movies and tv series all in one hard drive for easier access for her. I have seen one with internal storage which I can add via ethernet, wireless or usb. Was also looking at the cheaper alternatives without any internal storage that get the media files directly from my computer or something plugged into it, but if its getting media directly from my computer i am assuming my computer has to be on at all times to do so which is not going to be the case. Was looking for any user input on what I should do. her birthday is coming soon so I need to step up on this!

Thanks,

Alfredo

Update : Did some more research I see that my best bet in the situation of Live vs Live Hub vs Live Plus, Live plus is not necessary as we do not have Netflix or anything. Live Hub will help with not needing any other means of storage, and the Live will be perfect if we already have means of external storage ( External HDD) But besides that does anyone know one similar to the Live Hub but maybe a cheaper alternative ?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not necessarily familiar with the details of these devices, but here are some things to consider.

Where will the movies be stored? On an external hard drive? Network drive?
    Do you want to connect the drive to the media device?
    Or do you want to set up a media server and stream from it? What type of network connection will you have to the device?

I assume you already have all your DVDs converted to media files? I don't think this works with Blu-rays.

3. adinunzio10

Thanks again DoubleHelix. The movies will be stored where ever is easiest. If streaming is possible without having to have my laptop on at all times I would be doing that, but I would need to purchase a network drive ontop of the WD Live which is putting me out my budget. I already have an external hard drive so I can use that as the storage but if thats the case I am just looking for alternatives to the WD Live before i jump the gun and just buy that one.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you don't want to leave your computer on, and you don't want to purchase a network drive, then you won't be doing any streaming. Make sure whatever device you're looking at supports your external drive.

5. adinunzio10

Alright, thats what i figured, Do you know of any other brands that make devices similar to the WD Live TV?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice