1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WD SATA drive works Internal but not External

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sneech, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

Pentium 4 3.0ghz Windows Vista Ultimate
    I have a brand new 500GB WD SATA2 WD5000AAKS
    Its works perfectly fine in the drive bay, (Healthy, Active Primary partition) everything seems normal.

I put it into this SATA Enclosure. Windows recognizes the drive when I plug it in like normal, but if I go to my computer, disk management, or if Vista is trying to shut down or start up, Vista just hangs. As soon as I unplug the drive or turn it off everything goes right back to normal. The drive is recognized in 'safely remove hardware' with a drive letter and all, and I can even safely remove it.

The same thing happens in XP though XP does not hang up. The drive shows up in disk management as a healthy partition, and I can even delete the partition and format it but it will not show up in my computer. Same results on another XP computer

I have put a Maxtor 300GB drive in the enclosure and a WD 160GB and they both worked perfectly.

Ubuntu seem to see it fine, though it said it was a "read only" drive. (ubuntu newbie)

I've googled all I could with no luck. Could it be jumpers? I wouldn't know what to change or how for that matter, but the different settings for this drive can be seen here

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I think some enclosures have a maximum hard drive size.

You have the drive in question set as master using the jumper pins, correct?

3. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

The back of the drive says "Master/Slave jumpers not needed for SATA". Also I've never set jumpers before, but I can't see anywhere on the drive to change jumpers.

Looking at sata enclosures on Newegg.com I seem some do specifically say "up to 500gb" or "up to 750gb" though most don't specify a size limit. I wish i had another enclosure to test.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

How are you plugging the external in usb or esata? Have you checked device manager to see that usb controllers are functioning normally if usb?

5. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

USB 2 and Device Manager shows no question marks. I've used the enclosure with two other drives in the last few days, 300gb and 160gb.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Try setting the jumper on the drive to limit the data transfer rate to 1.5Gbits per second and see if that has any affect on it.

7. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

Okay, just tried that, but no change on Vista or XP

8. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I just ordered this new enclosure so I'll let ya know how that works out!

9. ~whirled-peas~

~whirled-peas~

sneech, I'd really like to know how this turns out as I am having a similar issue with a 500GB Seagate ST3500641AV. I've connected mine via IDE/USB adapter (Bytecc?) which has worked well with about eight other drives on both my desktop and notebook system. When I plug this into my notebook, WinXP and disk mgmt see it fine (partition, format, copy files, backup, etc). However, when I try to restart WinXP (SP2 w/all current critical/security updates), my Acer notebook (Aspire 3003WLMi) won't boot. It won't even POST, just flashes the lights on my external keyboard and external USB hub - until I unplug the USB cable for the drive adapter. THEN everything proceeds as normal. Real PITA, I tell you... and I'd LOVE to find a way to make this work w/o unplugging and replugging the USB adapter.

Awaiting your good news...
    --Tom

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have had that issue with certain external drives also and never resolved it except that I buy usb and firewire connected drives only and if I switch the drive to firewire this all stops. This is one of the reasons I try to avoid using usb whenever possible.

11. ~whirled-peas~

~whirled-peas~

Hey Rich-M, thanks for the info! I guess that's why the USB to IDE adapter was so 'reasonably priced' (~ $20). I don't have a firewire connection on my notebook, but I have one LAN port and one PC Card slot. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I gotta ask... Is there such a way to connect this drive using either of those options, for around $20?

Also, might you know if this is a problem with the drive, the USB to IDE adapter, or the USB port and/or driver?

I originally wanted the USB connectivity to be able to move the drive between computers, so I'm wondering what problems I'll encounter when I do... So far, I've had no problems with USB adapted drives on my desktop system, but I haven't put -this- drive on -that- computer - yet.

Thanks in advance!
    --Tom

12. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

I should be getting my enclosure on Wednesday and I will definitely let you know!

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

The pcmia card can be bought with usb or 1394 ports and $20 might buy one online if you shop well. There are external drives that would connect with ethernet port but that takes a special drive. Most of these problems are with the cheap chipsets the external cases employ.

14. sneech

sneech Thread Starter

YES! Just hooked up my new SATA Enclosure via USB2 and it worked perfectly! So the problem was the old enclosure didn't work with my new drive. Cool beans.

Thanks for everyones help!

15. ~whirled-peas~

~whirled-peas~

Thanks sneech, for your reply! So glad to hear that the new enclosure worked for you. I am using an unenclosed adapter here (I change drives out quite a bit). I have two of these, and one is labeled as 'supports high-capacity drives' - but no spec as to how 'large-capacity' it can handle. I haven't swapped out the units to see if one is better than the other (busy with -WAY- too many projects at once!), but I plan to test this. I also want to test if the 500GB drive works properly connected to my desktop system, but haven't done that yet, either.

I *did* manage to get my home network working much better by installing a switch, so I can put the 500GB drive on the desktop system and access it via the network! YAY!!! So glad to get that little bugger working! I will (hope to remember to) post results of my testing here for other users, once I work my way down my to-do list!

--Tom

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/605217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice