1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WD World book edition problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by philip kirkham, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philip kirkham

philip kirkham Thread Starter

Dear All,

I have a WD World Book Edition (1TB white with the white cyclon strip light), before christmas it was a regular event of the network drive not being found, clicking on the network icon in 'computer' usually brought it on line again, I bought this to connect my two pcs together with what i thought was reliable storage in the event of a major loss of one of the pcs.
    Since christmas, apart from McAfee changing its operation screen and windows doing 13 major updates, nothing has been done on the pcs, in fact they were switched off including the NAS drive for a couple of weeks, now only the public folder on the NAS drive is viewable, the other folders are in what the properties box states is a disconnected drive.

Is it possible to reconnect the drives without having to dismantle it and connect it through a sata cable etc ( the pcs are HP dc5750's and they probably only have the old connections) is it possible to gain access to the drive via another way.

Thanking you in advance
    phil

2. philip kirkham

Dear all,

After a little research, it appears that it is not possible to connect it to a pc, as the data has been encrypted by the little green board, which is apparently what is fried, a work around on Youtube is to replace this little green board with another with the same board number, providing you can find one, and attach it, it then allows the drive to work, not worth the effort in my case as the data is still on the PCs I have, the WD was used for the secondary backup in the event of the hardware failure of one or the other, so the info is still available.

I am still trying to find a reliable NAS drive, any suggestions?

Imeoga - apparently has a habit of corrupting the latest format of documents after encryption.
    WD - is still apparently the best option, although the old white cyclon strip version of the drive has been superceded, so unsure as to whether this is any better.
    Buffalo - has problems according to the reviews.
    Qnap - is expensive.
    Seagate - has some problems but only with NAS (seems like all NAS's have issues after 3 years).

So in conclusion unless I go looking for a NAS drive which is used in business, ranging from NAS versions of the world book to the rack type, it's going to be expensive and a gamble to reliability.

At the moment the WD 2TB NAS £140 and the Seagate BlackAmor 220 £210 in Amazon look like fore runners, any views on either?

Getting a NAS with bays is also expensive, as much as the WD or seagate and then the drives are about £70+ GBP

Just checked the prices again and they have gone up, must be because I was looking for one - go figure.

I appreciate any comments
    phil

3. philip kirkham

I will close this as there is no suggetions, finally, the only aparent way is to replace the board if you want to retreive the data, otherwise if the data is saved elsewhere, dump it, thats what I plan to do, replace in the short term with a seagate 2TB and do full image of the PCs drives and a mirror copy of the PC files contained in the drives, when I have the funds look at a seagate black amor 220 (effectively a 1TB with the other disk mirrored), although a 2 Bay unit is looking like a better option and 2 drives - but very expensive.

Best regards
    Phil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice