1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: we are switching from cable to dialup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alienadam, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alienadam

alienadam Thread Starter

are there reliable programs that will make it so you dont have to get kicked off every time the phone rings?.... that way we can atleast finish up what we are doing?....

or even make it so that you dont have to get off at all... unless you know the person or something

one other thing... can anybody telll me anything abuout bluemoo? (that is what were getting)

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Most phone companies have a temporary, "this time only", hold all other calls (hence, no call-waiting) code you can enter as a prefix to your dial out number, such as to your dial-up ISP.

Some systems use "*70," and another company near here uses "#70,"

So. for example, if you were to call a number like 555-1234, you would instead enter:

(The comma is only to give a 0.5 to 2 second delay before the rest of the number is dialed.)

3. alienadam

alienadam Thread Starter

Chuck,
    ill def keep that in mind

is there an easy way to find out what services are offered in any cirtian area...like say 12928....(not numbers just services) or have you heard of any that are good hat would be worth checking out.... (i only have untill thuursday to figure out some of this stuff :(

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some sites to check out:

http://www.isprank.com/
    http://www.internetservicelist.com/
    http://www.findanisp.com/

There's dozens, if not hundreds of these sites.

You shouldn't get kicked off when someone phones, and the phone should not ring. With V92 service, and a V92 modem and software, you can put the modem on hold to take a call as long as the service is available.

Any reason for switching from cable ot Dial-up?

5. alienadam

alienadam Thread Starter

cable is just getting way to expencive (n)

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

You should have mention what you mean when you say "12928"
    I finally realized you meant the Zip code 12928. That is Crown Point, NY, area code 518, and that you are looking for a dial-up ISP (Internet Service provider) for that area.

Like Triple6 (666? yee haw!) mentioned, use those three ISP search sites, to locate an ISP in whatever are you like. Once you find an ISP, make sure that they have access numbers in your local calling area. You can easily get dial-up service for $10 or less a month, with no long contract, just month to month, with multiple email accounts and many megabytes of online storage.

One that I am partial to is Intergate, which gives you coast-to-coast access numbers, 100 email names, 100 MB of storage, and just $10 a month with no contract, it is even cheaper if you sign on for a longer contract. But DON'T sign on for any length of time until you have used them for at least a few months, to make sure you are happy with the service.

7. alienadam

alienadam Thread Starter

hey ChuckE,
    what is the site so i can look in to it more...and you ay that you have this particular one?.... i only hav untill thursday when i have to make a decision.... do you think many people know about this ISP?

also does i cost more to have like 5 users compared to 10? or soemthign?
    anyother general information on what you like about this ISP would also be great...

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

What is the website address to the ISP Intergate?
    how about intergate.com ?? :)
    How new are you to the internet, anyway? :confused:

If you have difficulty in finding that, just Click Here.

With having up to 100 email names on 1 account, I would expect that 100 people could use the service.
    HOWEVER I will bet that only one person, on the same account, can use the service at any one time. Similar to what AOL does, where they allow you to have (I think) 7 screen names, but only one can be signed on at any one time.

Intergate has been around for years. I am sure there are many others just as good, too.
    Intergate is mentioned by Kim Komando, a radio computer maven.

9. alienadam

alienadam Thread Starter

lol...sighs :eek: .... i was still a little tired when i wrote that... I will look in to it'

i am not new at all to the internet.. infact i am an old pro..... i know a lot... granted not everything (but the again who does) if i did then i wouldnt have to come here for help but instead id be helping other people just liek you and other people do....

looking back on what i wrote i must have been tired

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice