1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) We are unable to retrieve account data.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Herve, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Herve

Herve Thread Starter

I have a dell computer and I am running windows XP Home I have an E-Trade account which operates fine, including my account data My problem starts when I open E-Trades MarketTader, which has streaming watchlists level II quotes etc. Everything appears to load as it usually does until the last page tries to load "retrieving account data".At this point the "retrieving account data" becomes "We are unable to retrieve account data Please close the browser and launch again", must have tried it 50 times. So I call E-Trade tech support, Delete cookies delete files and manually type address and still the same result. They say it may be a browser issue, or perhaps a password problem and referred to "Gator" by name. I checked add/remove programs and there is no Gator. I also have IE 6. tia

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You would know if you had Gator- a little gem people were offered that automatically fills in forms online for you....it is now classified along with a lot of other little add-on browser enhancers, as spyware containing....it can be removed, or other ones detected and removed, by SpyBot. You may have something similar to Gator, that can slow down Internet so bad you would think your machine is terribly "ill"...and can cause connection problems, etc.

Here is a link to a security page here at TSG put up by Rollin Rog...
    http://forums.techguy.org/t110854/s.html

Check the list, find SpyBot instructions, try the program and let it remove the junk it puts checkmarks in, in red list.
    If you have done spyware removal, then continue:
    Will the site let you reset your password? They usually confirm through email, and send you a new one, that you have to use until you can get back to the site and change it to something you want. I know there are some that cannot, too.

This MAY ALSO be only a blocked cookie or IE security problem.....if you see a red - (minus) sign, down in taskbar, when using your account site, it may mean part of the site is blocked for some reason. This does not refer to ads that come in, and are supposed to be blocked....
    Open Tools at top of IE page, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites....is an address listed there, with "Blocked"?
    You can add your account site to your Trusted Sites, that may help. You type the address differently, though, like this:
    https:// then the address
    (the "s" lets it know that it is a secure website)... try adding that to Trusted Sites.

3. Herve

Herve Thread Starter

Thanks, Byteman, for the SpyBot link, I didn't realize I had that much junk on my computer! I still can"t open Market trader, you mentioned a blocked cookie as a possible problem. Could you tell me how to check for that? Thank you again

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might try deleting all the cookies on your system. You'll have to re-enter passwords for any sites that saved them in cookies, but it may get the problem one. I'd also delete all temp files in IE.

5. Herve

Herve Thread Starter

JohnWill and Byteman, thank you both for your help. My program is back up and running, not to sound like a broken record, but this forums great and so are the posters, Thank You

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice