1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Weak Wireless Signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by L Henry, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Hello:

My wireless network signal is great on the first floor, but is weak on the second floor. I have tried different antennas and various locations for the antennas, but with little improvement. I prefer not to purchase signal amplifier.

I have a second identical router. Can it be connected to the current router (LAN output) and by way of a cat5 cable, placed on the second floor to boost the second floor wireless signal?

If this is possible, a series of steps to set up the second router would be most appreciated.

I have very limited experience with network setup. My current system was configured without fully understanding the procedure.

Windows xp-Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes
    Service Provider- Local Cable Co.
    Router(2)- Trendnet TEW-452BRP
    Modem- Motorola SB5120
    Encryption- enabled
    IE8

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

It appears from the older post that I can hook an identical router (with cat5 cable?) to the current one to boost the signal on the second floor.

To one who has only used the step-by-step instructions (which included Pictures) to install one router, the “Tutorial from Johnwill” is rather intimidating. Phrases, such as “DHCP server, disable the DHCP server, crossover-over cable, same subset as the primary router, but out of range.......”, have limited meaning to those of us with little previous networking experience.

If the setup (as described by Johnwill) is a comprehensive series of specific steps for a novice, I have a lot of home work to do prior to setting up the second router.

Is a more specific and basic series of steps available for the hookup of my Trendnet router?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you read through the router user manual at all? At least picking out those sections (pps. 12, 23, 28) that deal with the procedure for using a router as a switch and wireless access point?

Any router will work; no need for identical. The signal is not boosted; you are adding another wireless access point.

I've changed some stuff on my (same) router, but from the manual it appears that the default IP is 192.168.1.1 and Dhcp server address range is 192.168.1.100 thru 1932.168.1.199. The ports are auto-sensing so cross-over cable is not needed.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The routers don't have to be identical and, yes, they are connected with CAT5 (or CAT6 if you want to use it) cable.

Yes, JohnWill's instructions detailed what settings need to be changed on each router, not how to change them. I have no idea if you could find any kind of detailed instructions with screen shots of how to specifically implement the changes on a Trendnet TEW-452BRP router.

6. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Yes, TerryNet, I did review the User Manual, however, at my level of networking experience I did not realize that “using a router as a switch and wireless access point” related to my posted question.

As a Moderator with 47,107 posts, my request for improving signal strength must have appeared as unnecessary if I had read the manual. Sorry!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No need to be sorry. I thought that when you mentioned using the second router and connecting it by cable you had abandoned the effort to "boost" the signal. My reference to manual reading was w.r.t. to the JohnWill procedure; reading, even completely understanding everything in it, would not reveal anything about signal boosting nor alternate ways to use the router.

I think that my post # 4 and the manual pages I referenced should answer a lot of your concerns about following the procedure. Surely not completely, so post your additional questions and Chuck or I will try to answer.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    One addition to the information Terry has given you, make sure you use different channel numbers for each router's wireless setting. Having at least a three channel number separation will keep each router from interfering with the other. It gets a bit more complicated if you have nearby neighbors that may also be using a wireless router.

9. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Utilizing the information above and the results of a Google search (..how to connect two routers..), I successfully added a second router to my network. Wireless units on the second floor now have a much better signal available.

As always, the information provided on this site was most valuable and instrumental in the completion of the project. The Google search provided several step-by-step lists that filled in some details for the novice.

I will mark this thread “Solved”

My sincere thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!