1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Weather Gadget Cannot Connect

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bill_Lopez, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Lopez

Bill_Lopez Thread Starter

Windows 7 SP 1 (Ultimate, Pro, Home Premium) weather gadgets stop working on some (but not all) computers. The "fix" below, posted in a couple of closed threads in this forum, works for me for 2-3 days then the connection problem reoccurs.

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache", open "Config.xml" (RMB -> Edit) and save it (File -> Save) without doing any changes. After 10-20 seconds restart the gadget!

--> Can anyone explain WHY this works, even for a little while? <--

FWIW, I have set up a scheduled task to "touch" (update the file date/time) the config.xml file at 5:00 a.m. every day, which should be pretty much the same as opening the file and saving it without making any changes. I will now have to wait 2-3 days to see whether this works long-term. I have set up the scheduled task on one affected computer and not on another, so if the weather gadget continues to work on the first computer and fails on the other one after a few days, I will conclude that "touch" works and post the details.

2. Bill_Lopez

Bill_Lopez Thread Starter

As expected, the computer with the "touch" scheduled task continues to connect with the weather gadget server and the computer without the scheduled task failed after three days. Here are the details for creating the task.

1. Create a file in Notepad or your favorite text editor.

@echo off
    cd "c:\users\USERNAME\appdata\local\microsoft\windows live\services\cache"
    touch config.xml

Save the file as
    c:\users\USERNAME\Scripts\TouchWxGadgetConfig.cmd

2. Download UnxUtils from http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils/
    Unzip the folder UnxUtils.zip
    Copy the file usr\local\wbin\touch.exe to c:\windows (or any directory in your "path" environment)

3. In Administrative Tools / Task Scheduler,
    create a scheduled task to run c:\users\USERNAME\Scripts\TouchWxGadgetConfig.cmd daily.
    (I chose to run it at 5:00 a.m. when nothing else is going on.)

Touch.exe updates the date/timestamp of the config.xml file to the current date/time but otherwise leaves it unchanged.

I still have no idea why updating the date/timestamp on the cfg file makes any difference, but it works, at least for me. I would be very interested to know if anyone can explain why this works.

3. replay

replay

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!