1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Web-App-Cloud General Design Questions

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by sherpasolutions, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sherpasolutions

sherpasolutions Thread Starter

Hi,

I am new to website design & architecture principles & my questions must be to basic to find a concise anwswer online.

Context
    Scoping out a spec for an online portal website using cloud provider which would largely be accesses via a tablet & smart phone.
    There would obviously be a relational database behind it and require queries to retrieve & display the results. Secure log on/remember me etc.

My questions are;
    1. Am I right in my conclusions that HTML is 'base' language for web, and one selects Java/ASP/PHP etc language to code up specific function call that are embedded within?

2. How does one go about selecting Java/PHP/ASP etc? [Note - this would be for a spec doc...I'm not planning on becoming an expert but will definitely invest in learning it]. I find much of the information is bias towards there particular leaning.

3. What are all these open source languages? Drupal/NoSQL etc. Are they inferior to the big guns? Worth looking at?

4. Do the main cloud providers [Microsoft/Amazon/Google/Force etc] specify a particular language to use/access/query their clouds? Or is that just via their APIs?

5. How does the above relate to the App/Tablet development? I'd look to spec both Android & IOS?

Many thanks for any steer, advice or online resources.

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi and welcome to TSG John:)
    1 - Yes, html is the medium by which all browsers interpret (render) websites and yes the other languages are used to enhance the operational side of your site.
    2 - Once you have designed your site and determined what functionality to include, you might then look at already existing scripts (why re-invent the wheel) which would meet your requirements and integrate them into your site. (e.g. if you wanted a contact form whereby a user could communicate with you, you would probably Google "mobile contact form scripts" and come up with a solution which would likely involve php and javascript, but can be implemented, without your having to "know" these languages, simply by following the instructions for installing, supplied by the author of said script).
    3 - I've never used Drupal, which is a CMS (content manage system) or Front-End for producing websites. There are others (Joomla; Wordpress etc.,) which allow a person to develop a website in a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) mode. But the end result is the same - html with php and javascript/Ajax "add-ins".
    4 - No idea mate - never used cloud, but I'm sure it's just a slightly more advanced Drupal/Joomla setup so the "language(s)" are the same end result.
    5 - The design and development of (for want of a better term) mobile websites is much the same as for a Static website, except much smaller. You would have to be conscientious in your styling to fit the mobile platform, yes, but the techniques and syntax are the same.

Hope this has helped:)

3. sherpasolutions

sherpasolutions Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers JiminSA - yes this has helped me.

Does a website often use both Java & PHP for added functionality or would this be considered poor practice? I believe PHP is particularly efficient for querying DBs?

Can WYSIWYG programs do the Java/PHP functionality? Or, do you simply use them to set up layout/design and then integrate scripts into the WYSIWYG Html code?

I suppose it also holds true for a WYSIWYG that 'what you pay for is also what get'? Suggestions of good ones welcome.

Regards, John

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Javascript not to be confused with Java (a separate product) and php would be considered preferred practice.
    Yes php interacts with SQL databases superbly.
    I am pretty sure that the upmarket CMS products all utilise php and javascript, whereas true wysiwyg editors like Kompozer, would need you to integrate them and not be powerful enough to employ them automatically, being editors more than cms's.
    I used Kompozer during my initial learning curve and eventually moved to Notepad++ (source code editor) and found it very good on the whole, with the exception of it's inline styling tendencies - it is much more efficient to style your website using css files (Cascading Style Sheets - worth pursuing from the off!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!