1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Web browsers (both IE 8 and Firefox) won't load or load extremely slow

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by AlecWS, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

I run both IE 8 and Firefox on my Dell Dimension system. I'm having problems now with both browsers taking forever to load. This may be a virus or network problem. IE 8 just loaded now after 15 minutes (exactly - I timed it).

Details:
    - Once it's loaded once, both browsers load in normal amounts of time.
    - I haven't downloaded any new add-ons lately unless one browser or the other installed one in the background.
    - The problem just started today after a reboot.
    - I've also noticed that my network icon in the taskbar doesn't show up anymore when I first boot but by the time IE opens, it has showed up.
    - Using ipconfig, I did determine that I am on the network and connected immediately after boot up (router also shows me connected immediately).
    - I've tried running IE from the command line with iexplore.exe -extoff. It didn't make any difference. I don't know if this works with IE 8 though.
    - When I click to open either web browser, the process shows up right away in Task Manager and remains.
    - I have all the latest updates to both browsers that I know of.
    - I've run a complete system scan with McAfee (fully updated as of today.)

Now I've run out of ideas on what to try. I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
    Alec

2. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

Hi AlecWS, did you try firefox in safemode to see if it starts up quicker. If firefox starts quicker then disable the addons one by one till you find the culprit. Also here is the firefox preloader http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/Firefox-Preloader.shtml which helps firefox start up faster. Firefox starts in about 30 seconds on my computer since I started using it.You can install ccleaner from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ uncheck the registry items first and then run it. You can also do the same thing with the addons in IE8. Try resetting IE8 by clicking on tools> internet options>advanced>select reset button on reset internet explorer settings. You might also download Malwarebytes antimalware 1.44 from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/ update it and run a scan with it. Do the same with superantispyware 4.34 from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/ update it and run a scan with it. These are good free programs to keep and run a scan with every weeek or so. Hope this helps you out some.

3. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas boo5790. Here's what I did and what I found... In summary, though, nothing worked.

- I run ccleaner on a regular basis already. I ran it again. No affect. Nothing unusual.
    - I installed MalwareBytes and updated to latest database and ran it. Found 10 adware.popcap and 2 trojan.agent. Used it to remove them. No affect on my particular problem.
    - I installed Super AntiSpyware and updated to latest library. Ran it and it found nothing.
    - Tried running both browsers in safe mode. Tried reseting both. No affect.

In other news, I've found that the time it take so open IE or Firefox is related to the time from boot not from the time I clicked to open either of them. Nearly exactly 15 minutes after I reboot, my network icon returns to my system tray and whatever browser I've chosen opens and runs normally. I'm completely mystified.

Would there be any use in running any of the above programs again or can we trust them to find and remove everything on the first run? MB takes over an hour to run on my system. SAS takes 45 min.

Thanks for the ideas already and I'll gladly welcome any more ideas!

Alec

4. boo5790

boo5790 It's My Birthday!

Hi Alec, you I am assuming you are using xp, you can go into safe mode and select last known good configuration. Also you can run the system file checker, click on run and type or paste this into the box sfc /scannow, note the space between the c and the slash. You will likely need your xp cd for this. You can also run the chkdsk. Click start>my computer>right click the c:drive>properties>tools>select check now under error checking>put a check in both boxes and click start>ok>reboot the computer and let it do its thing. If none of these work then I would install hijack this and run a scan with it and paste it in your thread then click on the report button and ask a moderator to move your thread to the malware removal and hijack this forum. Your computer could still be infected. You could also have to many items running during the startup which would be a reason for taking that long to boot up.

5. Jack1000

Jack1000

Hi Alex,

What is your Anti-Virus Software? Have you updated your definitions for the program? Have you updated the program within the last six months? You should update your Anti-Virus definitions and if your anti-virus program is more than six months old, run the option to update the program.

You would want to do a Full System Scan after the program and definition updates. If your Anti-Virus software has the option for a Boot Time Scan, do that after updating. Put the scans on "Full" and give yourself about 1-2 and a half hours for the scan to do it's job.

If you have no Anti-Virus Software, or what you have on your system is more than six months old:

1.) I would recommend completely uninstalling ALL and any versions of Norton, Symantic, AVG, Panda, any competing Anti-Virus Sotware from Add/Remove programs.

2.) I would recommend Avast Free Anti-Virus 5.0. But make sure all competing AV programs are removed first. You can get the program from www.avast.com

3.) Follow the prompts for downloading and installing. After the install, you will see a "Virus Database has been updated message" box. Wait about 30 seconds

4.) Open Avast from the desktop, click on "Maintenance" and Registration. Complete the form and click submit. You will get a license key automatically and 12 months of protection.

5.) When your key is about to expire, you will get a notice, just repeat step 5, to get another 12 months of protection.

Jack

6. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

I use McAfee virus software. It's constantly updated. I ran a full scan already on this computer and it's not finding anything.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Alec

7. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

sfc /scannow returns the error "Windows File Protecton could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]."

I've already tried chkdsk and it didn't find anything.

I did however find out that in Safe Mode with Networking, my browsers work just fine. Odd, huh?

Any other ideas?

I think I'm going to try running MB in safe mode and then possibly try HijackThis.

Thanks,
    Alec

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

In actuality, you can not do that, because booting to safe mode wipes out the last non safe mode successful boot.

Ideas:
    Tell us the version of Windows [ xp, vista, etc ], version of that, service pack; if 32 bit or 64 bit

Tell us the brand, model & model # of your router.

Tell us when the problem began; date helpful. More importantly, what changed?
    Are you having the problem with only one computer, or with multiple computers on your LAN?
    From that which you have written in this thread and the thread in the malware removal forum, it seemed to me that your description was of multiple computers on a LAN.

Tell us which computers connect via ethernet & which connect wirelessly.

Please tell us which firewall is on each computer.
    Only McAfee AV, or McAfee AV as part of a suite?
    If part of a suite, open said suite. Go to about or help > about
    Which version of the Firewall, please?

Please verify that you have the exact quote regarding Windows File Protection and 0x000006ba

Check your Windows update history and tell us which, if any updates were applied within the 24 hours prior to the onset of the issue.

Also, please tell us of any failed / unsuccessful updates within 72 hours of the onset of the problem.

Which version of CC?
    What do you direct CC to do? Specifically, do you ask it to clean the registry?
    http://www.ccleaner.com/features
    I do not suggest that you use any tool / program / utility to clean the registry.

RF123

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

BTW, AlecWS:
    Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.
    Although this article refers to Windows 2000, it might help you.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296241

It might be evidence that your computer has malware. Please do not use any malware removal tools without the guidance of a TGF member with a shield. See stickies in the malware removal forum.

It could also be, simply, that Windows is corrupt or the HDD hard disk drive is having problems. If this your Dell computer, run Dell's HDD diags.

Information on XP's rec con.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Also, boot to your, if the computer is running XP, Windows XP CD and, in the recovery console, run:
    chkdsk /r

Then, when back in Windows, & this may take an hour
    start > run
    type: eventvwr.exe
    OK
    maximize scrreen

On the left, left click on "system"
    On the right, look for winlogon as the event.
    Open said event. Left click the button / icon with 2 pieces of paper.
    Paste into notepad, or return to this thread and post the results.

If winlogon isn't in system, check "applications"

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

No, not at all. That means that probably some program running on the computer in question is causing the tardiness.

When your booted to SM / N, did you start IE in IE's normal mode, or IE's no add ons mode?

Did you start FF in FF's normal mode or FF's safe mode?

RF123

11. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

I'm running Win XP. Sorry I left that out earlier.

I've tried restoring last known config and it didn't do any good.

The problem showed up a couple days ago. Actually the same day I first posted. Becuase it's related to the time from reboot to the time I open a web browser it could have been happening for quite a while. I usually leave my computer running all the time and frequently only reboot when I notice a slow down or change a system config, run chkdsk, etc which usually is just before I go to bed. In toerh words, my computer sits all night after a reboot before I even try the web browser so this could have been happening for quite a while without me knowing. I don't think it has though.

I run several computers through my router and none of the others have had any issues. It's Dell TrueMobile router from about 2004 timeframe. Dunno the exact info. I don't run a firewall on the computer with the issues. I only use McAfee Enterprise 7.1 (an older version) for virus scans, etc. I run McAfee SecurityCenter on my laptop which connects wirelessly to the same router. My roommate runs Stopzilla and he's wired directly to the network and has no issues. Once again, I don't think it's a router/network issue.

I can't duplicate the sfc error since I just tried to run it in regular Windows mode and it's working. (Before when I got that erro which I believe I quoted exactly, it was in safe mode.)

I have the latest version of CC and, yes, I do use it to clean my registry quite often. I don't usually remove anything I don't recognize though.

How do I get a list of my updates? I don't think I've had any errors when I installed any recently. I usually let Windows automatically download updates and then I run them. I've rarely had reason to not run any downloaded update though. Last update was probably earlier this week or late last week.

Thanks for the input!
    Alec

12. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

I've tried both browsers in normal and browser safe modes to no avail. When I was running in Windows Safe Mode I only ran IE in normal mode and it worked.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Did you reset IE, as boo suggested?

As I noted above, "In actuality, you can not do that, because booting to safe mode wipes out the last non safe mode successful boot. "

What is the start point for the 15 minutes?

Is the Windows FW off?

Which XP Pro?
    Please answer all of the questions I asked.

Time for you to learn about clean boot troubleshooting.

start > run
    type: msconfig
    OK
    The system configuration utility will open.
    The following assumes the SCU is in "normal startup".
    Services tab > "hide microsoft services"; then "hide all"
    Startup tab > "disable all"
    OK
    Restart.

If the SCU is in selective startup, click on each tab and note, specifically, which items are checked & which are unchecked. Do not rely on "the first 5 are checked", the last 3 are unchecked. Sometimes, the order changes. Don't ask me. I wasn't in the meeting.

Report the results.

You can educate yourself here.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041

RF123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

THAT is very important information.

Many services do not run in safe mode.

We are brilliant, but not clairvoyant.

RF123

15. AlecWS

AlecWS Thread Starter

I did reset IE as boo suggested. No affect.

XP SP3 fully updated from MS update.

I've used msconfig many times to disable startup programs and I think I have a pretty clean startup with mostly all stuff I recognize.

Can you tell from the HiJackThis log what all services, etc I'm running? I'll be typing all night to tell you all the stuff I've got turned on and off in msconfig. It's definitely in selective startup mode now.

Currently running chkdsk /r 73% complete.

Thanks!
    Alec

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/907916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice