1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: web/telnet server, linksys router, sympatico dsl

Discussion in 'Networking' started by neojello, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neojello

neojello Thread Starter

hi there.

i am getting a web server set up and a telnet server set up on my home computer.
    i am using sympatico dsl, a linksys wrt300n and windows vista.

i have port forwarding set up properly in the router as well along with static ip (my ip is always 192.168.1.110)

i can go to my local network address via http://192.168.1.110 and i will get my webserver page (as well, i can telnet to that address, or telnet to localhost and i will get my telnet bbs)

but if i try to use my dynamic dns domain, or even my internet ip address it is sending me to my modem configuration page (192.168.2.1) via http, and if i telnet to the address it says connection refused (my guess is because it is trying to telnet to my modem)

this is puzzling, as everything is set up properly, according to the directions on the router and the modem (plugged into the internet port, setup via DHCP etc etc)... also, if i go to my routers status page it lists the internet ip address as the address of my modem, not of the actual ip address (eg, 192.168.2.1, not xx.xx.xx.xx which would be the actually external internet ip)

can anyone help me? is there some reason why this is doing this? i have used portforward.coms instructions for port forwarding to no avail. port forwarding does work for azureus ports though... this is so frustrating!!

let me know if anyone has any ideas... i really want to have this work. i am going to try to plug the dsl modem straight into the computer (no router) and see if i can access the server hoested on the computer, or if it will go to the modem status page again (the modem page has nothing other than the options to disconnect and this:

IP Address: 74.13.29.57
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    DNS Server Address #1: 206.47.244.54
    DNS Server Address #2: 206.47.244.113
    Modem IP Address: 192.168.2.1

System Summary
    System Type: SpeedStream 5242-Series
    Config Part #: 003-s093-G06
    Firmware Part #: 004-E242-A2M
    MAC Address: 00:0B:23:7F:07:F8

firmware i am running on my linksys is the latest wrt300n 1.03.6

peace,
    chris.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your router getting a WAN address of 192.168.2.1 indicates that your "modem" is a modem/router combo with LAN subnet 192.168.2.0. You may be able to get everything working the way you have it now, but I suggest either

a. configure the Linksys router as a switch (and optionally wireless access point), or
    b. put the modem/router into bridge or bypass mode to use it as a modem only.

JohnWill has a nice description of how to do (a), that we can post again, if you choose that option.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. neojello

neojello Thread Starter

problem solved!

after lots of searching i did realize that my speedstream 5200 e242 is a modem/router combo, and it comes in router mode by default. apparently on the older e242s there is a way to unlock the modem and access its port forwardinng and firewall features etc. i tried all mtehods, and it did not work (my e242 has the newer firmware, which doesnt allow unlocking, unless you downgrade to a lower firmware, which i was unable to find. the link was on dslreports forums on how to do this, but it was not working, and i couldnt find the file on sympaticos ftp).

nonetheless, my modems setup page did not have the BRIDGE MODE button that it was supposed to, however, the page to turn it on was accessible. so after a bit of searching i found the link and name opf the .htm page (192.168.2.1/brgmode.htm), went to it, and changed her over. now everything works through my router.

i was a little dissapointed though, because i thought it would be great to use the routers features of my modem, that way i could upgrade my wrt300n to the latest working firmware for this model, and if it didnt work i could just use my modem and my old hub.

anyways, thanks for the help guys! im not sure how to set this to SOLVED so if someone else can do it for me, that would be great!

peace,
    chris.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can mark it 'solved' by clicking on Thread Tools in the upper right.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!