1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: webcam driver disables internet connection.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roguetrooper7, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roguetrooper7

roguetrooper7 Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post, so please have patience with my lack of knowledge.
    My problem is that i have recently purchased a new PC running XP Home SP3.
    I bought a logitec webcam, installed it in the correct manner, and as soon as i plugged in the USB webcam, my intenet connection was lost and would not re connect, the connection only came back when i did a system restore. After several attempts i took the webcam back thinking it must be faulty and purchased a Microsoft litecam vx1000. Installed this and same thing happened, lost internet connection as soon as i got to the "plug in usb device" part of the installation. I have tried latest webcam drivers and tried installing software and drivers and just drivers to no avail.
    Currently i have system restored prior to webcam installation so have my internet connection again, but no webcam obviously, at the moment my local area connection shows "connected, firewalled, NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet. I have watched this when i install webcam and the "NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet" disappears leaving "local area connection connected, firewalled", displayed. I am at a loss, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. BG-0

BG-0

After installing the webcam, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling your network card's drivers, as they would seem to disappear when the webcam is installed... Are you using the integrated NIC of your motherboard?

3. roguetrooper7

Good Morning, BG-O.
    Yes, i believe it is the integrated NIC of the ASUS P5ND motherboard. My RSJ45 ? cable plugs into the motherboard socket. As for the network card drivers; i am not sure where to find these to uninstall/re-install. would this be to do with the "Nvidia nforce 10/100/1000 mps ethernet" that is listed on my local area connection.
    Thanks.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Yes it would.
    About uninstalling its drivers... Find your network adater (propably nvidia nforce 101001000 MBps ethernet) in your device manager. Dbl-click, choose Driver tab, and remove. Then, to be sure, use some driver removal tool to make sure all traits of the driver are gone, download its driver, or use the driver disk that came with your mobo to reinstall its driver...
    I hope this won't make you work for nothing (=hope it helps :p)

5. roguetrooper7

Seems to be a good idea, i am just backing up drivers using Driver Magician (free trial) and report back later today with results.
    Thanks.

6. roguetrooper7

Well where do i start . lol.
    I installed the webcam software having backed up the nvidia nforce 101001000 MBps ethernet drivers using Driver Magician. As expected as soon as i plugged in the usb webcam the internet connection dropped as described earlier. I then uninstalled the nvidia nforce 101001000 MBps ethernet driver via the Device Manager and checked all parts had be uninstalled. I then did a system reboot. logged on ok checked internet connections and found "local area connection" missing, as to be expected (seeing as i had uninstalled drivers). Next i tried to re-install the backed up drivers, using driver magician, followed prompts clicked ok to install and PC flashed blue screen and shut down, followed by automatic reboot, did this a couple of times, flashing blue screen closing then rebooting. eventually offered safe mode boot, which i did, tried re-installing drivers in safe mode; once again shut down with repeat of blue screen re-boot nonsense. Finally rebooted in safe mode, did system restore to point before "Installed DirectX" and once again i have internet connection back, but no webcam.
    Perhaps i should give up and drink some beer !

7. BG-0

BG-0

Rather than restore the drivers, just download(before inserting the webcam, that is) them here, and install(after inserting it and removing the drivers.). http://www.asus.com/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=p5nd I don't know which one you have, so pick the right one, click the Download button, choose your OS and download.
    But before that, go and drink some beer.

8. roguetrooper7

I used this link for my specific mobo P5ND
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

just to confirm; is it this one
    NVIDIA Networking Drivers with Microsoft RIS. or this one
    NVIDIA nForce C55/MCP51 Chipset Package Driver V9.46 (Chipset Driver V4.6.0.0) for Windows XP/64bit XP.(WHQL)

9. BG-0

BG-0

I think you'll be as fine as possible with the smaller one(networking).

10. roguetrooper7

:)Ha Ha, Success (so far, touch wood). I did as you suggested although deviated slightly by installing drivers from my Asus installation disc.
    So far so good, i now have webcam and internet working, if this changes i will let you know, but i am hopeful it is now sorted.

Thankyou for your time and valuable assistance.:)

11. roguetrooper7

P.S The Beer helped ! :D

12. BG-0

BG-0

Good that you installed from disk to save the headache of thinking "is this sure the right driver?". Let me know if the problem comes back. For now, you could mark the thread solved by using the button at top left.

13. roguetrooper7

Will do, Thanks again.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice