1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Website not displaying correctly in IE

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by hfrink, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hfrink

hfrink Thread Starter

Hi All,

I'm new here. I consider myself a beginner web designer. The website www.pathwaysnh.com is displaying fine in Safari and Firefox but is not displaying right in IE6 or later. I've validated the code through w3.org. to no avail.

Can anyone help me? THANK YOU!!

hfrink

2. gyclone

gyclone

The home page displays identically to me in Firefox (version 3.6.13) and IE (version 8.0.6001.18702) on an XP Pro Machine with a 20 inch wide-screen monitor and the windows maximized. Quick testing of other pages and different window sizes produced same results. Can you point out what you are seeing that appears to be wrong? Also, if you can post which versions you have of the browsers, I might be able to better match your configuration, so I can see what you are seeing.

3. ehymel

ehymel

Same here, looks the same on IE8 and FF 3.6.

A screenshot might be helpful to let us see what doesn't look right for you.

4. omuyelijah

omuyelijah

Hi all,

that site looks fine on MSIE 8.

5. hfrink

hfrink Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks for checking it out. I had to put up the old site- since the new one wasn't working. I've uploaded it here www.hrfrink.com to test it out. Looks fine in firefox. Safari and IE are having issues. Only the background image is appearing. None of the text, links, images (all content really) is showing up. Thank you thank you to anyone who can help!!

6. DrP

DrP

All I'm seeing in Opera 11 and IE8 is the background, while it looks fine in FF and Chrome.

You've got a lot of absolute positioning going on, mostly relative to the parent <body>, which might be the problem. Try creating a larger parent <div> to hold all your absolutely positioned elements and giving that position:relative in your CSS. Absolute positioning works relative to a parent element, which means when you say left: 50px, it means 50px in from the left of the parent element and it usually works better if this parent element has position: relative. Your parent element at the moment is your document body so you might want to try attaching position: relative to that first.

Two other comments:
    1) Your navigation would be better as an unordered list rather than a set of isolated divs, for usability reasons (check your page out without any CSS and your main nav should look like a list).
    2) Your background image is wide, presumably to fill the browser, but it isn't wide enough - my display is 1920px wide, so the image is tiled horizontally and I doubt the result is something you'd be happy with!

7. hfrink

hfrink Thread Starter

Hi Clive,

Thanks for your response. I've added a larger <div> element that I've called <div id="content> and made its position:relative. I've added it to all the pages and css file but it still seems it not working. I've even tried to clear out some of the default settings for browsers in my css file to see if that would help- obviously to no avail. Any other suggestions as to why its not displaying on these browsers??

I'll work on your 2 other suggestions after I can get the website displaying properly for IE, Opera and Safari.

Thanks again! -heather

8. DrP

DrP

Have just created a local version of your page and the problem seems to be the following:

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript"><!--
    function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
      var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
        var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)
        if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}
    }
    </script>
    Removing that code meant it loaded fine. Can you do without it?

EDIT: Having looked at it again, you've started a comment within that code but not closed it and IE8 is obviously treating the whole page as a comment. Just remove <!-- on line 13. Sorry I didn't see it earlier and wasted your time with the absolute positioning.

9. hfrink

hfrink Thread Starter

That did it!!! THANK YOU sooooo much!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice