1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Websites identify IE8 as IE6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BooBoo2011, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BooBoo2011

BooBoo2011 Account Closed Thread Starter

Recently, my laptop crashed and I had to go to a Tech Service here in the Philippines to get it back up and running. I did not have my recovery disks with me (valuable lesson learned) and so they reinstalled Windows XP professional. I have a Lenovo T60 laptop. When they installed everything, they installed IE6 as the browser. No problem, I will just apply patches and bring my laptop up to date. I did that and had no problems.

However, when I visit some websites, I get a message that they detect I am running IE6 and suggest that I upgrade to IE8. One website is http://www.tagged.com. I do not know why I am getting this message on certain websites.

I have checked the Help|About Internet Explorer and it shows this version number:

Version: 8.0.6001.18702

When I access the Control Panel and view Add or Remove Programs, I see only Windows Internet Explorer 8.

So, I am confused as to why these sites think I am running IE6. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA

2. BooBoo2011

BooBoo2011 Account Closed Thread Starter

I was able to solve this issue. I did what I should have done prior to posting to this forum, which was to Google the issue. I found a reference to this issue at this website:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

I followed the instructions, which were to modify certain registry enties,

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent

Yes, I backed up the registry before performing these changes. After making the changes, I reopened IE8 and navigated to those sites and the message identifying IE8 as IE6 no longer appear.

Hopefully, this can help someone in the future!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice