1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: websites won't load

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kim-smells, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kim-smells

kim-smells Thread Starter

hi.. im not sure if my thread is a networking problem, but anyway... im having problems with my internet. The websites that i visit usually cannot load as the server cannot be found. I have to continuously have to refresh until the site can then load. Otherwise, if the page loads, the images do not load and again, i have to click refresh till it does load.

This problem has been ongoing and quite frustrating... if someone can help me.. your help will be greatly appreciated..

thanks..

kim-smells

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. kim-smells

just wanted to ask if this would work on mozilla as well? because i usually use mozilla but i experience the problem with both

thanks for ur reply =]

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

no,it won't work with Mozilla

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

1. Clear your DNS cache. Go to Start > Run and type CMD
    and hit OK.
    At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushDNS
    and hit OK.

2. Clear your cache. Go to Tools > Internet Options > General tab. Under Temporary Internet Files, click "Delete Files" button. Also click "Delete Cookies" button. Click OK.

3. If no joy, check if your PC is blocking the site. Do a search for HOSTS file and open it with an editor like Notepad. Delete any line that has the blocked site in it.

HOSTS file is located in
    Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    Win 98/ME = C:\WINDOWS

It is a hidden file. Go to any folder and select Tools > Folders Options > View. Check "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK.

4. If you are using Internet Explorer, check if the site is restricted or blocked. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security. Hightlight Restricted Sites and see if the blocked site is located there.

Also under Content tab > Content Advisor, check if the site is restricted there. Remove it.

6. kim-smells

unfortunately, i dont think it worked...

this is what came up in the hosts file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

7. Skydawg

Skydawg

Let's go back to the beginning...had you installed any new programs as this problem started, have you run malware programs and antivirus programs, just to rule that possibility out. Does it do this with every web page, or just some? Do you have problems sending/receiving email? Do you have antivirus/firewall that might be tyring to block these sites?

Can you ping these sites ... start - run - type in cmd, then enter. Type in ping yahoo.com, or ping google.com, or any website, do you get a constant or do you get 1 or 2 lost packets? append a -t to that and let it run a while and see if you lose packets.

I would venture to say that 99.9% of people don't mess with the hosts file anymore, as DNS does all the work, and your host file is a default one. Is your modem/router/firewall in good operating condition? There are a plethora of reasons this could be happening, kinda hard to work it with just, pages won't load and sometimes images won't, so any other information would be great. :)

8. kim-smells

dear skydawg

well, this problem started after i reformatted my computer, ive downloaded a few new programs such as winamp, fastone image viewer, and i think a few more, but i had these programs prior to reformatting my computer. i have kaspersky antivirus that i use to scan my computer occasionally.

This problem occurs at random, doesnt matter what web page it is.. i dont send many emails so im not sure if i have any problems with it but ive been receiving emails as per usual from different organisations etc that im with.

i dont think my antivirus is blocking any of these sites as they still do work, just after clicking refresh continuously.

i typed in ping google.com in start-run-cmd and this is what came up:

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=237ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=238ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=238ms TTL=240

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 237ms, Maximum = 238ms, Average = 237ms

also, as im not very good with computers, im not sure what to do in the next step: "append a -t to that and let it run a while and see if you lose packets." SORRY!

about my router, im also connected to the internet with another computer. The other computer is working normally without any complications, so i suppose its not the router or the modem as the other computer is in good condition. I'm connected to the other computer through wires, not wireless connection.

thanks for everything :)

9. rumpo

rumpo

May I ask who your ISP is?

When you run a ping test as you have there and are dropping packets the issue is most likely not with your PC, but with your ISP.

If you have DSL you want to make very sure that you've got everything set up correctly.

-Make sure all phones and other analog devices are filtered.
    -Make sure there is no filter on the modem.
    -Use the RJ11 (phone cable) provided by your ISP.

Also be sure to call them, you should not be dropping packets.

Although, if the other PC is working fine it may be a wireless signal strength issue.

10. Skydawg

Skydawg

To ping for a while, you append the command with a -t, as such; ping yahoo.com -t. It's easier if you go to run - type in cmd, then in the command prompt, type in ping yahoo.com -t, let it run for a while and see what you get for lost packets.

As you say your other computer doesn't have this problem, can't be sure it's the ISP, you have two computers and one works fine, which tells me it's not the ISP, that would be my assumption and I would look to the computer or internal network connectivity. If the other one has no problems on the internet, you really can't say it's the ISP.

You say you have a router, both computers run through the router yes? Just thought it odd you stated the computers were wired together, and not that they both go through the router. I have also seen where if your modem is not a bridge (DSL modem), and is acting as a router, you will have Internet connectivity issues. What is the make and model of the router and the modem, and are you DSL or Cable, or eeek, dial up?

11. kim-smells

dear skydawg,

sorry i meant to say that both computers are connected to the router, but the other computer is the one that is directly connected to the modem.

the model for the router is D-Link DI-704UP
    the model for the modem is Siemens Speedstream 4200

thanks

12. Skydawg

Skydawg

OK, confuse me more hehe. :confused: You have 3 computers? One connected directly to the modem and then two ... errm hehe. I can't picture this, does the computer connected directly to the modem have two network cards in it, so that one cable goes to the router and one goes to the modem, and then you are Internet Connection Sharing the computer?

This attachment is what I would expect to see as a SOHO (small office/home office) setup. I included a pic of the back of your router, which show the WAN port, where your modem would connect to, and then 4 LAN ports, where your computers will connect. Take a look and let me know if it matches yours. :) Umm my pics didn't upload, hrrm, will try agan...

13. Skydawg

Skydawg

Trying the pics again. :) Okay, left is the back of your router, right is the way it should be hooked up. :)

Attached Files:

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

15. Skydawg

Skydawg

I think it would be prudent to do simple troubleshooting first, like find out how the network is set up, as I stated previously, if one computer is direct connected to the modem, and then all others to the router, other computers won't see the Internet, unless ICS is used, but that would be a waste as there is a router here. The one computer has no problems connecting and works fine, so one would assume the ISP is not the problem.
    If the one directly connected to the modem doesn't have two NICs, and ICS is not in use, the others will not see the Internet, but will be able to contact each other, so, in my humble opinion, the network is set up wrong, hence the pictures I put up to help her set it up properly. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice