1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Weird contact on my website...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by JiminSA, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

I sometimes get some strange submissions on my website's contact form but this is very strange...
    That IP is in China (Fujian) - is this perhaps the start of an internet garbage-spreading war:eek:
    I say again, weird:confused:

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

I would add a captcha to the contact form

3. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Good idea Luke - but it must've taken the guy ages to show off his knowledge of the English language (shame;))

4. dukevyner

dukevyner

Yeah i don't really see the point of this, perhaps they we practicing their English ... personally i would put that into google translate and send it back in Chinese.

5. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

He-he:) Ye little divil ya! My Mum used to say "2 wrongs don't make a right!":rolleyes:
    (incidentally can you email to an ip address???)

6. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

It looks to me more like the text padding spammers try to put in to convince filters that their message is legitimate.
    I'd take a long hard look at your server's email system to make sure it cannot be diverted for sending spam. Remember that all user input should be treated with the assumption that it's from a malevolent cracker who knows everything about your system. Verify that, for example, they haven't tried to slip a "CC: [email protected]" in. If they do, it will be your server that's marked as a spam sender.

7. dukevyner

dukevyner

yes my mum used to say that too... and no you can't send it to an ip adress, i thought maybe you had an email, alot of people require an email when using a contact form in case a replay is needed, on the same hand if that were the case the user could have used any email, even a innocent person's email, an sending an email back could goto someone who have done nothing, and as ent said could have your server marked as spam

8. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Yes, the email entered was garbage...

9. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Do you have any server-side verification of the email?
    You may not be able to detect that something like "[email protected]" isn't legitimate, but you can at least reject entries that try to submit "niwoqcpoqetux"

10. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Yes, I check for the @ sign and at least one period thereafter... I imagine that there is not much more that I could check:confused:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066253