1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: weird file folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nutnhuny, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

:confused: I have all these files on my c: drive that look like this
    oc15da407908beof504a925987 can i delete them? Joanne

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Where exactly are they located? Sounds fishy to me.

My advice get Hijackthis and run it, save and post a copy of the log to either this post or one is security.

3. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

they're on my c:\ where you're document and settings files are...you're program files and such

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Should I believe your title (folders) or post (files)? If they are folders, what's in 'em?

If files have you tried opening one with Notepad to try to get a hint of what they are?

No matter what, they look like things that can be deleted, but I'd play safe by moving them all to some other folder or to the recycle bin for a day or two. That way they can be retrieved if needed after all.

5. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

that is a brilliant idea! thank you....they are fiolders that each have one file that also consists of a weird name like "msxml4-kb92797978-enu.log" which when i open it is full of more ?? giberish to me this is part of it.....? and btw...thanks!!!
    Verbose logging started: 12/12/2006 8:49:45 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435 Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe ===
    MSI (c) (88:A4) [08:49:45:031]: Resetting cached policy values
    MSI (c) (88:A4) [08:49:45:031]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
    MSI (c) (88:A4) [08:49:45:031]: ******* RunEngine:
    ******* Product: c:\02e1836a

6. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

i didnt want to post it all it's really long....like 1983 kb

7. valis

valis Moderator

got the same thing on my pc, it's just an installer issue, far as I can tell....the msiexec comes back to that as well....you can run a scan or post a hjt log, couldn't hurt.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

deleted dual post

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Question do these files have dollar signs on each end = $ -?

10. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

only the first one has dollar signs all other are just numbers and letters

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

These I think are in the Windows directory and are from installing programs. What you can do is burn them to a CD-R or DVD depending on how many there are and after burning them you can then delete them from your system, This is Windows way of sort of backing up the installation files from programs you install and they are not really needed after the program is installed. I just save them if there is a need for them but I have never seen any use for them after the program has been installed but I like to be safe anyways

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I found that I had one of those folders also. Mine was dated 11/14/06. Scanning through the .log file I saw that it was a log of some installation; finally found a line: "ProductName = MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)" and looking that up found that it's a Microsoft Security Update. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

Why you have so many and I had only one is a mystery. But they can definitely be deleted.

13. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

wow!!! this site is a "god send" ....thank you all for your assistance....i have placed them in my recycle bin for now! Joanne

14. nutnhuny

nutnhuny Thread Starter

o and if that is what they are "microsoft security update" i know why i have so many...for a while i was getting windows updates everyday....i posted here about it....i've since turned my automatic updates off and will just check for the really important ones every now and again....

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe you were getting updates everyday because the updates failed installation? You could check some of those log files (open with NotePad and Find "ProductName") and see if there was just one or a few updates multiple times. If so it might be good to try to find why the installation(s) failed. Maybe those horrendous log files have the info needed to trouble shoot the problem.

Since I didn't read your other thread I may just be blowing hot air! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice