1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Weird Network Freeze Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tpd2225, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tpd2225

tpd2225 Thread Starter

I'm trying to diagnose an intermittent problem with the networking on a particular computer, and I have found a string I think I can pull to unwind the problem...but I don't know where to go from here.

The computer is a Windows 8.1 platform, wired to my home Internet.

The problem I am having is this: at random intervals, for about two minutes at a time, the network interface will freeze; usually I notice this when I try to load a web page, and it stops on "Resolving host...". I've tried different DNS servers, and I can always access the same DNS server from another computer on the local network without problems.

I've tried various malware and virus removal tools, and none of them can find anything wrong.

I have noticed, running "netstat -o -n" on a command prompt, that a new entry appears consistently when the network freezes, and is not there when things are running normally. It's very different from all the other ones (which are originating from either the loopback or the IP address of the local terminal). The line reads like this:

Code:
    Proto   Local Address     Foreign Address   State       PID
    TCP     [::1]:62434       [::1]:5357        TIME_WAIT   0

I'm unfamiliar with this, I've never seen an IP address like that. Some of the literature I've read suggests it has to do with IPv6, but that hasn't helped me resolve it.

Can someone give me some insight into what I should be looking for next? I'm pretty much stumped now.

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

IPv6 loopback address.
    Using any type of Apple product?

3. tpd2225

tpd2225 Thread Starter

No Apple products that I know of. I think there may have been iTunes on this computer a long time ago, but if there was it's been uninstalled, and browsing the Task Manager I'm not seeing any Apple-related processes or services.

Would it be advisable/possible to disable IPv6? Am I likely to actually be using it for anything?

4. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

It would cause problems since you would have to completely disable IPv6 though the registry value and not just the interface.
    Check the bindings and insure IPv4 has first priority (On top of the list).
    Press Windows key + X and select Network Connections
    Press Alt key + N and select Advanced Settings
    Under connections insure that your primary adapter is at the top.
    Under Bindings insure IPv4 is at top for both Microsoft Networks and File&Print Sharing.

Another thought for curiosity. From an elevated command prompt if you run netstat -ab and locate that address/port, does it show the ownership information?

5. tpd2225

tpd2225 Thread Starter

It appears the problem had to do with McAfee being a little too protective of my computer. I've turned off some of the firewall features: the ones that are "smart" and do things without asking for my convenience; I told it to ask me anyway. The problem hasn't recurred...yet.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice