1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Weird noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bhamlinda, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bhamlinda

bhamlinda Thread Starter

I had a tower - 3 years old w/mother board, video card, sound card, and external modem - that I installed a floppy, cd rom, and hard drive into.
    Trying for a back up computer here.
    When I turn the power on it makes an alarm sort of noise - about 1 second on, 1 second off - on and on until I turn it off.
    Any ideas what this is and what I can do to fix it?
    Thanks.

2. byon

byon

Remove these peripherals you installed, does the problem still occur?

What motherboard model are you using?

3. bhamlinda

bhamlinda Thread Starter

I unplugged the floppy, modem, hard drive and cd rom - disconnected the power to those too.
    The noise still occurs.
    The book says - K6XV3+/66
    Rev.BB+
    I hope that's what you need.
    Thanks for your help.

4. byon

byon

The BIOS performs a POWER-ON SELF-TEST POST when the system is turned on. This test is used to ensure that the system is functioning properly and to gather information about what the system contains. When a problem is identified with the system during the POST , the BIOS will normally produce an error message. However, in some cases the problem is detected so early in the test that the BIOS cannot even access the video card to print the message! In this case the BIOS will produce a beeping pattern on the speaker to tell you what the problem is.

Since it is a DFI K6XV3+/66 Rev.BB+ board, it should be using Award BIOS.

The continuous beeps is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem. I would advise you to take off the RAM and slot it back in to the motherboard. If you have 2 or more, try putting in just one piece. :)

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the fan ontop of the cpu spinning?

6. bhamlinda

bhamlinda Thread Starter

Wooohooo!
    Success! This place is fantastic :)
    Candy,
    Yes, the fan is spinning - when this one overheats it sounds like a French police car :D :D so it wasn't a heat issue.
    Byon,
    I had 3 RAM cards in there - removed 2 and wahooo! It works!
    Kisses on your cyber lips :D :D
    Many thanks to both of you!!! ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice