1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Weird problem when activating file sharing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kaashifv, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaashifv

kaashifv Thread Starter

Basically I have having this problem on both computers I want to share. When i type in the ip of the pc I want to connect to, I get the following error:

[​IMG]

Then when i press Diagnose I am prompted with the following error message:

[​IMG]

So I thought it had something to do with file and printer sharing not being enabled, but when i try to enable it, i get 'RPC Server Unavailable" as below:

[​IMG]

After searching the net for ages (it seemed like), I have not been able to find a solid solution, I have been told to make sure RPC server is running, which it is, Net TCP/IP helper is running, and when i ping the IP address of the computer, it does comeback with a result, so i know the computer can see it. I am thinking it has something to do with the firewall (which i should mention, i have tried with e firewall enabled, and disabled).

Can anyone shed some light on what could be wrong?

Thanks,
    Kaashif

2. kaashifv

kaashifv Thread Starter

Ok, here is some more information, when i try to star the net share, by excuting the command "NET SHARE" in dos, I get the following error:

The Server service is not started
    Is it OK to start it? (Y/N) [Y]: y
    System Error 1068 has occured.

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice