1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Weird Ram Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ibanez2k, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibanez2k

ibanez2k Thread Starter

I can't find ANYONE who knows how to solve this problem so any help would be appreciated. I have just recently upgraded my RAM from 512 mb to 2 gigs. Physically I replaced 1 stick of 512 ram with 2 sticks of 1024 ram. Right off I assumed everything worked right. When the machine booted CMOS recognized the new ram just fine. When I got into Windows I check real quick in Control Panel/System to make sure Windows recognized it and it showed my installed 2 gigs just fine. What made me question was that nothing was running any faster. I was shocked by that seing how I just boosted my RAM 4 TIMES what it was. I opened Windows System Information and found that for some reason Windows was still only seeing 512 megs of RAM. In fact the information shown didn't even make any sense because it showed that I had 512 megs of total memory and 1,800 megs of AVAILABLE memory. So my problem is that my computer knows there is 2 gigs of memory there but is only using 512 megs of it. Has anyone had this happen before? Once again, any help is greatly appreciated. Here is a screenshot too if it helps.
    [​IMG]

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

NOTE - System Info has a history file and I suspect that is what you're seeing, your old system info. There is a Refresh History option, use this and wait. If it works the way it does on my work PC, when the history refresh is done the general tab will be empty, just exit System Info and reopen and you should see your real/current info.

If that does not work:

First off, are you absolutely sure the 1gb DIMMs you installed are compatible with your motherboard?

If you just use the description of the DIMM, you made the classic mistake of thinking all descriptions are equal. They're not. You must match your motherboard's specs for memory exactly.

The best tool I've found is 4AllMemorh's [Check My System] applet.

From their WEB page, run the check and it will return the exact DIMM for you motherboard. Print and check this list against what you installed.

Other suggestions:
    • With PC power OFF (of course) re-seat the DIMMs, in fact try swapping their locations
    • Check your motherboards BIOS settings, there may be something there although your system's Properties displays correctly
    • Also, suggest you change your System Info View to classic, IMHO this is better

3. ibanez2k

ibanez2k Thread Starter

thanks Technomage. I'll double check and give those suggestions a shot.

4. ibanez2k

ibanez2k Thread Starter

I have double checked the DIMMs to make sure they are the right ones. They match completely the motherboard requirements. And I was able to try other memory sticks I had on the motherboard and in all instances the BIOS and Control Panel/System would recognize the installed memory exactly. But when I ran accessories/system tools/system information it still, even after refreshing, says there is only 512 megs of memory installed. I attempted installing 512 megs, 1 gig, 1.5 gigs, and 2 gigs, ALL of which resulted in the same problem. Everything says the amount I have installed is right EXCEPT for when I run "accessories/system tools/system information". In that program, no matter what I have installed, it still says there is only 512 megs of ram. Like I said, it wouldn't be a concern except for the system is showing absolutely NO difference in performance with any of the memory I'm installing and I run video editing programs and REALLY need the performance. I am having a good local technician look at the computer tomorrow. I will definately post the results if we find out what the problem is. If anyone knows anything more about this though or has any other suggestions I would appreciate it though because as of now things still aren't fixed. I'll update the thread more though tomorrow if I find anything else out from getting the computer examined.

5. ibanez2k

ibanez2k Thread Starter

Well... The problem wasn't ACTUALLY solved to be totally honest. As far as I have gotten after I have had other technicians look at the problem is that Windows System Information is essentially just being stupid. Apparently it is only reading 512 megs of RAM but I have been assured that my system is ACTUALLY using all 2 gigs I have installed. So I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice